Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox

(19 Posts)
Wonderstuff Thu 23-Jul-09 14:27:07

And she has a molar tooth coming through, poor baby has nasty spots all over her bottom and one particulary horrid spot under her eyelid rubbing her eye sad

Anyway she broke out on Tuesday, when will she start to get better? I'm no good at this nursing thing.

girlsyearapart Thu 23-Jul-09 14:35:36

bless.depends how bad spots are. dd1 was off colour with about 20-30 spots poorly ish for about 3 days.
dd2 caught it 2 weeks later was absolutely covered in spots v poorly not sleeping. she also has excema so it was very bad.awful for a week then awful with bearable moments for a week after that.
you can start to go out once spots scab.
excuse poor punctuation dd2 asleep on my arm.

Pinkjenny Thu 23-Jul-09 14:43:24

My dd came out in spots on the Thursday night, was fine (but spotty) all weekend, then really poorly Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, not too bad Friday, better Saturday and fine Sunday.

It was hard work and really quite upsetting to see her so poorly.

Wonderstuff Thu 23-Jul-09 14:55:47

Hopefully about a week then? She is mostly OK but will suddenly burst into tears for no reason which isn't like her (earlier when the tombiliboos finished brushing their teeth). We are watching lots of Cbeebies (bad mummy).

Pinkjenny Thu 23-Jul-09 14:59:39

Mr Tumble now officially reminds me of Chicken Pox as we watched so many episodes during that confinement period!

Wonderstuff Thu 23-Jul-09 15:29:12

smile pinkjenny - thank god for Justin! I didn't realise before today that they repeat everything throughout the day!

girlsyearapart Thu 23-Jul-09 15:33:02

God yeah we mainlined cbeebies! did want to wring sarah-janes neck though after so many cheery smiles in higgledy house and tikkabilla...
A week sounds about right.

Pinkjenny Thu 23-Jul-09 15:50:49

So between Cbeebies and wanting to slap people that tell you it's better that they get it young, makes for a fun week!!

Still, at least she'll have had it. smile

girlsyearapart Fri 24-Jul-09 07:30:44

Oh yes I forgot about that whole people slapping desire.. Yes really wanted my 6 month old covered from head to toe with spots bringing her excema-ey self to a whole new level of itchiness.hmm I am very suprised I didn't actually slap anyone!
How are things today?

Wonderstuff Fri 24-Jul-09 10:51:13

Well I tried an oatmeal bath last night and thate didn't work at all. Up all night, poor thing couldn't get comfy. She now has spots under her hair. The ones from Tuesday have scabbed but new ones keep coming. sad

Pinkjenny Fri 24-Jul-09 12:09:49

Chin up Wonderstuff, I think dd was still getting new spots for aboout 5 days. The oatmeal baths seemed to really help dd, but needless to say, she barely slept. Her temp was also ridiculously high. Calamine lotion was crap, but Eurax worked for us, and of course, the magic Sudocrem. She has a few little scars, but considering the amount of spots she had, she got off quite lightly really!

This too, shall pass. smile

Bubbaloo Fri 24-Jul-09 19:00:32

Ds2 had chciken pox 2 weeks ago,quite badly and dh has it at the moment,very badly
We have found that handfuls of bicarbonate of soda in the bath and calamine cream,rather than calamine lotion,has been very soothing.You can also buy an Aveeno lotion for the bath which is also very good.We also found that lots of baths seemed to bring the spots out quicker aswell.
Ds2 had around 150 spots,including in his hair,mouth and most other places and tbh you wouldn't have known he had it apart from the spots and he was still charging around and wasn't ill with it.He was fully scabbed over and out of quarantine after 9 days.
Dh is currently on day 7 and has nearly scabbed over.He must've had over 500 spots,and seen the emergency doctor in the last week,but it thankfully over the worst now,and hoping to go back to work on Monday.Hope your daughter feels better soon.

Wonderstuff Fri 24-Jul-09 20:51:59

Bubbaloo glad your family are on the mend, sounds awful.

DD seems better in herself today....

spoke too soo, awake, screaming and very sweaty (dispite not being hot) she'd only been asleep 45 mins hmm

less new spots today, so hopefully it will turn out to be quite mild and over soon..

nappyaddict Sun 26-Jul-09 13:36:05

Have you tried Eurax or PoxClin

Wonderstuff Mon 27-Jul-09 08:49:34

One last spot yet to scab - aarrgghh!

nappyaddict Tue 28-Jul-09 00:44:32

If she broke out on Tuesday you do realise that Sunday was her last contagious day? They are only contagious for 5 days.

Wonderstuff Tue 28-Jul-09 18:18:45

Not according to NHS website. Non-contagious when last spots have scabbed, 5-7 days, finally last one scabbed this afternoon!

nappyaddict Wed 29-Jul-09 02:01:27

Are you sure the page you looked at was an up to date one? It's old advice that you have to wait for all the spots to scab over. The preschool I volunteer at goes by the Health Protection Agency and their new advice is that children be kept off school for 5 days from the onset of the rash.

Wonderstuff Wed 29-Jul-09 09:45:25

here
But BBC and Bupa say 5 days! Wish I'd know that sooner hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now