Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

help I'm panicking - blood in stool

(5 Posts)
cyphercat Mon 20-Jul-09 19:26:20

DD is 2 and she has poo once 2 or 3 days. (okay sometimes 4 days..) and she does HUGE poos, about the length of half her arm and very thick. Today it was especially big with bright red streak of blood. I'm sure it's just tear of her anal tissues somewhere as the poo was so big. Is there anyway that I could make her poo more often naturally? I give her lots of fiber and fruit in general but she has always had constipation. (Probably genetic as I was a constipated as child and still am..) I definitely don't want to see more blood in the stools... Should I take her to the doctors?

amidaiwish Mon 20-Jul-09 19:29:45

it sounds like she has an anal fissure which can be very painful (DD2 had one). Does she hold the poo in, avoiding poo?

def wasn't diet with my DDs either.

do make sure she is getting lots and lots of water or very diluted juice. I even watered down milk to get enough water into her. Avoid bananas and yoghurt.

DD2 was on movicol for well over a year which (touch wood) has sorted her out and she is off it for now. She now poos every 2 or 3 days but the poo is soft and not traumatic.

def see the doctor.

amidaiwish Mon 20-Jul-09 19:30:41

prune juice is good too - mix with apple juice and make it into ice lollies!

maybebaby23 Mon 20-Jul-09 19:33:17

Dont panic, my dd is exactly the same and has had this happen a few times. We saw the doctor too and she has lactulose. They said the same as the above poster, anal fissure. I agree with the advice amidaiwish's advice too. Its really scary to see blood i know. Hope you manage to get something sorted soon

cyphercat Mon 20-Jul-09 19:33:28

hmm that's great idea. I'll try prune juice lolly with apple!! will help me as well thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now