Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please talk to me before I let panic set in.

(16 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 20-Jul-09 17:44:14

DD is 5 and says she doesn't feel well.

Coughing fit while having tea. Quite scary for her and me.

Before tea she said her neck hurt.

Has gone off to lie on her bed.

No temperature.

I am so stupid I don't even know what the symptoms are for the dreaded SF.

thefortbuilder Mon 20-Jul-09 17:49:13

you're not stupid. apparently main symptom is high fever.
phone nhs direct if you're worried or go to a&e.
good luck

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 20-Jul-09 17:50:19

Thank you.

She wants a few minutes on her own so I will check her in 10 minutes.

sweetfall Mon 20-Jul-09 17:50:57

her neck or her throat

has she a rash, does it blanch or fever

can she touch her chin to her chest

(ignore swine flu, for the majority it is merely a bug)

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 20-Jul-09 17:54:11

Off to check her now

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 20-Jul-09 17:57:35

No rash

Can't see properly in her mouth.

Still saying her neck hurts and the sides of her mouth too.

Says she can't breathe properly.

DH should be home in a few minutes.

sweetfall Mon 20-Jul-09 18:07:03

Neck or throat?

Is she sensitive to light?

sweetfall Mon 20-Jul-09 18:07:33

Can she breathe properly? Can she say a complete sentence without gasping for breath?

nellie12 Mon 20-Jul-09 18:09:50

has she got a swollen mouth at all?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 20-Jul-09 18:10:19

She is reading now.

Asking for Dh - who has just come in.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 20-Jul-09 18:30:47

She has got DH to put her to bed.


studentmummy Mon 20-Jul-09 20:14:37

Hi I would ring the paediatric dept of local hospital direct for advice - our hospital was great with a similar issue. You can do this while she is asleep - they are quite used to parents ringing up at any time for advice. If they say to take her in for check up then go with your instincts. I usually bypass GP now for potentially serious child issues and go direct to hospital consultants! They really don't mind and would rather be safe than sorry.
Just ring local hospital direct and ask for children's unit.

rupertsabear Mon 20-Jul-09 20:29:27

I also always ring hospital paediatric dept.

Flamesparrow Mon 20-Jul-09 21:17:48

FBG - nothing to do with this (hope your DD is ok), but didn't want to post on the Moldie thread.... LL lost her baby bunny

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 21-Jul-09 07:58:07

Oh no, Flame. sad Do pass on my sympathy.

Hassled Tue 21-Jul-09 08:16:33

Flame - she probably doesn't even remember me, but I've missed her, and often wondered how she was doing. If you think she feels up to hearing from random MNers, please pass on my condolences. I'm very sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now