Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Big infected spot spreading on DD's leg. What to do - now?

(10 Posts)
fifitot Sun 19-Jul-09 14:35:29

DD has what I think is a midge/mosquito bite on top of leg since about last Weds. It has got worse and worse. Today is very swollen with a big yellow head and surrounding area of leg is hot and red and streaking - clearly infection that is spreading.

Have been putting anti-biotic cream on and giving Piriton but now wondering if should go to out of hours docs today or hang on til tomorrow for GP.

Can't ask NHS Direct as not answering due to swine flu calls - I think.

Any advice? (She doesn't have a temp)

LuluMaman Sun 19-Jul-09 14:36:42

out of hours doc today, especially if it is spreading, draw a circle aroudn the red area now and then you will be able to see how quickly it spreads, iw ould not wait until tomorrow especially as antibiotic cream not working

DarrellRivers Sun 19-Jul-09 14:36:47

I would speak to your OOH docs.
Sounds like needs some oral antibiotics and I would get this done today rather than tomorrow

LIZS Sun 19-Jul-09 14:36:58

Walk in clinic ? Could it be a tick bite ?

BonsoirAnna Sun 19-Jul-09 14:38:11

Please go to A & E about this NOW.

I don't want to panic you, but a friend of mine died from an untreated infection of this sort.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 19-Jul-09 14:38:34

fifitot - I do not wish to alarm you but my cat died this week after fly strike. This is a side issue but the botflies which attacked her also attacked me - I was bitten on my arms and the bites came up as you have described. This needs treating quite quickly. Don't google, just call the out of hours doctor, in hot weather it's a bad thing.

fifitot Sun 19-Jul-09 14:42:31

Thanks - have made an appt at OOH docs for about an hours time.

I thought that was what I needed to do but thought I was over reacting. Thanks for your help.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 19-Jul-09 14:44:15

Good for you, don't worry these things are easily dealt with - providing you don't just hope they'll go away

SillyShrimp Sun 19-Jul-09 18:45:06

How did you get on fifitot?
Let us know!

fifitot Mon 20-Jul-09 10:56:59

Got Abs straight away - thought the docs surgery was full of people collecting Tamiflu!

It has improved already so they are kicking in. Tastes foul so having to bribe DD with choc buttons!

How can they make Calpol taste nice but ABs for kids inevitably taste foul!

Thanks for your advice and help everyone! And the fast responses. I knew I could rely on Mumsnet! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now