Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please be careful with FACEPAINTING in this weather

(22 Posts)
Flgihtattendant Sun 19-Jul-09 10:03:05

I just wanted to remind people about something that happened to us last summer.

Took ds to a local thing and he had his face painted, it was a hot day, lots of running about etc.

The next day he was very red and his skin started to blister, where the paint had been. I was a bit shocked and thought at first it was something like impetigo, but soon realised it was in the right place to be a reaction to the paint.

It was just a casual facepainting stall, not sure what type of paints they were or anything, but if you are going to have it done please be aware that this can happen.

He was Ok in a few days but it was sore and I took him to the GP who prescribed an antihistamine in case it swelled up more.

Maybe he was jst allergic to it - I don't know, but he isn't an allergy prone person generally.

That's all - hope it helps someone.

SlartyBartFast Sun 19-Jul-09 10:05:49

your poor ds. Glad he is better now.

<<since it is raining here i thought this was going to be a joke thread about what can happen in the rain to face paints>>

whomovedmychocolate Sun 19-Jul-09 10:07:13

Sounds like the facepaint had been contaminated. People keep those things for years adding water to them to dilute the and not realising how dangerous it can be

I chuck mine after each day's use - you wouldn't keep a mascara for five years would you?

BTW sudocreme seems to help with reactions to facepaint for some reason.

Flgihtattendant Sun 19-Jul-09 10:07:33

lol smile

Flgihtattendant Sun 19-Jul-09 10:07:47

oops x posts!!

Flgihtattendant Sun 19-Jul-09 10:09:11

Oh yuk, WMMC - that's hideous isn't it. I thought he had caught something from the paint, ie an infection, but actually I reckon maybe it reacted with the sun and that caused a chemical reaction - don't know for sure. sad

I guess it's a bit dodgy either way. I emailed the organisers but never heard back.

LuluMaman Sun 19-Jul-09 10:10:05

oh dear. poor DS

hi flight.. where you been??

LuluMaman Sun 19-Jul-09 10:10:17

oh dear. poor DS

hi flight.. where you been??

Flgihtattendant Sun 19-Jul-09 10:36:56

Hello Lulu! smile have been lurking, and occasionally posting...

it was last year so he is fine now, but thought it was pertinent to warn others. How are you?

belgo Sun 19-Jul-09 10:48:39

oh I have facepainting Flight! They make my gorgeous girls look all weird painted as a princess or butterfly or whatever, it very quickly goes smudgy, then there is the usual tantrum in the evening trying to wash it off. And of course children with sensitive skin will react to it. It's horrible stuff.

belgo Sun 19-Jul-09 11:02:24

I meant I hate face painting not I havehmm.

And children don't even appreciate it because they can't see the results of the painting unless they are looking in a mirror.

Flgihtattendant Sun 19-Jul-09 14:17:02

oh glad you agree with me Belgo - nothing against it per se, but I do worry about the hygiene issues. It was a dodgy festival anyway, a hideous noise ridden headachey day and we only went because 'friends' bought us a ticket to say thanks for a favour.

That was the last straw really! smile

LuluMaman Sun 19-Jul-09 14:18:08

am fine thanks
smile nice to see you , flight x

southeastastra Sun 19-Jul-09 14:28:06

they must have been using funny paints, have never seen a reaction to the paints we use (snazaroo)

edam Sun 19-Jul-09 14:45:06

I've never understood what the point is, given children can't actually see their own faces bar a few quick glances in the mirror.

Flgihtattendant Sun 19-Jul-09 15:11:05

Well it's a bit like us wearing makeup I suppose - you can still feel as though you really are, well, a tiger or a fairty or whatever - or in our case, prettier than usual! It's the psychological excitement of looking different to others I expect.

But anyway...I shan't let them have it done again.

Flgihtattendant Sun 19-Jul-09 15:11:24

fairty? fairy grin

Tumbleweed Sun 19-Jul-09 23:12:34

Sorry to hear about your DS, flightattendant. Same recommendation from me as southeastastra - Snazaroo (my spelling?!) are fab, available onlibe, costume shop and even in local art shop. Cameras are wonderful for preserving the moment, edam.

Flgihtattendant Mon 20-Jul-09 08:05:33

Thankyou...well I might paint the kids myself if they really want me to smile

But how on earth do you avoid contamination...say one child has the beginnings of something like, for instance, impetigo - or even a cole - how would you not spread that to the other kids by using the same sponges/paint etc?

I can't figure it out.

Flgihtattendant Mon 20-Jul-09 08:05:50

cold!

MIAonline Mon 20-Jul-09 08:15:53

One thing you also need to remember is to put sun cream on first. Once the face paint is on it is too late and also you will forget. A friend did this.

Flgihtattendant Mon 20-Jul-09 12:55:00

Oh yes, good point, but we had already put on sun lotion when he had it done - maybe this had something to do with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now