Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

stubborn ezcema!

(14 Posts)
OzJo Sat 18-Jul-09 05:12:27

My Dd, age 6, has always had ezema off & on behind her knees, it just seems to be getting worse recently, and spreading up her legs. I try crams for the homeopathic chemist, that have done bugger all really, if it gets really bad I put some hydrocortisone cream on it. Is it worth getting her tested for allergies? What kind of basic moisturiser is good to put on when it's not too bad? Any hints appreciated...

OzJo Sat 18-Jul-09 05:22:56

OK maybe it was cream from the homeopathic chemist..I really should preview these messages!

esselle Sat 18-Jul-09 05:24:39

My DS also has eczema, I reckon I have tried every lotion and potion available to buy. I have tried cutting out wheat, milk and only washing his clothes in soap flakes. Nothing seems to make any real difference.

I know for certain he reacts to grass and tomatoes as his skin goes red almost immediately.

I too prefer homeopathic remedies but his skin is so bad sometimes that the prescribed creams are the only option.

I have a referal to have him allergy tested butit seems to be the most busy department in the hospital. I recieved a letter 2 mo ago fromt the hospital saying they had recieved my referal and to await an appointment...

Are you in Australia too?

girlsyearapart Sat 18-Jul-09 05:26:39

good morning glad someone else is up! have you tried e45 if it's not too severe. Also try Diprobase and Epaderm. Yes worth getting allergy tests done. My dd2 is 10 mo and after allergy tests and eliminating certain foods her skin is a lot clearer. Although i have been up since 430am with her madly itching today so it's not 100% solution..

girlsyearapart Sat 18-Jul-09 05:28:29

oh you're up cos you're in Australia.. try looking through the allergies forum lots of ideas on there.

OzJo Sun 19-Jul-09 10:41:20

Ahhh yes, E45 cream....it is tricky. I know Dd has a severe allergy to grass...but it must be just a certain type..( she runs around outside all the time no reactions).Got her blood tested for the basics last year as she had a couple of cases of total body hives out the blue,( plus we wanted to get a dog, & wanted to make sure she wasn't allergic before we did). I reckon it would be worth going to ask for further tests.
Yes I'm in Australia, but sympathy to girlsyearapart, think I've still got PTSD from the sleep deprivation of the early days!
esselle, where are you? We're in Tassie, beedin cold at the moment, and soggy, very English weather. Love it here though...just having a fret about Tess's knees, it seems to be spreading...frustrating that the steroid cream seems to be the only thing that'll knock it on the head!
OK, best go, thanks for the hints...

esselle Mon 20-Jul-09 14:38:09

Hi OzJo! I'm in Melbourne! Not too cold here atm, just very windy!

The latest potion I am trying is dermeze ointment. It is a pretty greasy lotion but seems okay so far. I have also been using a bath oil. These are both from the chemist.

I went back to the Doctors on Fri and have another prescription for Elocon which seems to do the job for a few weeks.

I am also considering having a blood test done but DS is only 19mo and taking blood is going to be traumatic for both of us (probably me more than him!!blush).

I just really wish I knew what is causing his eczema so I know how to deal with it.

girlsyearapart Mon 20-Jul-09 21:37:01

Blood test is not much fun. We had dd2 'done' at 8 months. She didn't even cry though i nearly did! It is worth it though to see if anything comes up..

Northumberlandlass Tue 21-Jul-09 07:58:32

Ladies, I was just about to post on here and start an new Ezcema thread... my DS (6 in Sept) has awoken this morning to awful breakout of ezcema on his face. He has obviously been scratching during the night and the ezcema under his chin is red and bleeding. DS had baby ezcema when around 6 months all over his body, and they advised then that it would probably mean allergies in later life (my DM is allergic to ALL fruit / citric acid, so allergies in the family and DSis has hayfever / asthma).

I'm going to make an appointment at the Doc's today for him. But any ideas on how to sooth him ?

I haven't changed any detergents, so I am at a loss on why the break out now !

xx

girlsyearapart Tue 21-Jul-09 08:09:27

Have you given piriton? I'm only really up on baby excema and allergies. Oat bath? The excema nurse did say with older children encourage them to pat or pinch rather than scratch. We also put a fan on her at night which soothes. Look at the threads in the allergy section lots of advice there from people with older excema sufferers. x

Qally Tue 21-Jul-09 08:18:46

I had terrible eczema when DS was born, like I've not had since childhood - was covering both inner thighs, cracked and bleeding. I ended up using his baby bottom barrier cream from Neal's Yard in desperation, just to protect me a bit from the wind (this was last Dec/Jan, in the snow, and the chill was agony) and it cleared it up. I was astonished, as the prescription stuff wasn't doing much. It may have been a fluke, or the prescribed stuff taking a while, but perhaps worth a try? It's really just a herbal zinc cream, but it was very comforting as well.

sleepsforwimps Tue 21-Jul-09 08:22:56

My 12 month old ds has eczema, I have recently cut peppers out of his diet after being told it can often flare up eczema (we used to eat lots of red peppers). To my amazement it has completly healed up. Maybe worth trying?

nicm Tue 21-Jul-09 08:31:51

ds had eczema when he was a nb and still gets it on and off. i only use ecoballs to wash his clothes and the only cream that worked was natraderm from the health store. not sure how easy it would be to get in aus!!

Northumberlandlass Tue 21-Jul-09 13:02:37

Thanks to all. I will get some Piriton on my way home. Will look into Natraderm too.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now