Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

squint op recovery advice please

(8 Posts)
anniebear Fri 17-Jul-09 10:48:26

DD due to have this end of the month, had said I didnt want the summer school hols so yes, it ends up slap bang in the middle!

I read she would not be able to play in sand or swim for 6 weeks after? Nurse at the hospitsl thought it was much less but she didnt seem too sure

Also 3 days later we go away for 3 nights, I oresume that will be fine?

Also s days later she is due to go to her special needs playscheme? is that out of the question?

How long would they normally be off school for?

I did want to cancel but in a way would rather get it over and done with

thank you

TigerFeet Fri 17-Jul-09 10:52:19

My DD had her squint corrected earlier this year.

She had the op on a Tuesday and was off school for the rest of the week.

No swimming and no sand for a month, although in all honesty I think if we had done either a week or two earlier she would have been fine.

She had to have eye drops three times a day for a month afterwards, thankfully she was fine with them.

She'll be fine when you go away, dd was back to herself within a day or two. Her eyes were still a bit red but weren't causing her any trouble at all.

It was all very straightforward and recovery time was very quick.

Good luck

anniebear Fri 17-Jul-09 10:56:17

thanks.

Im worried as I have just ben reading about staying in for a week, I cant do that in the summer hols with two 7 year olds, one with special needs shock

TigerFeet Fri 17-Jul-09 11:05:19

Stay in for a week? shock. Bloody hell, no chance grin

DD was more than ready to go out within a couple of days. We took it easy the day after the op, then back to normal. She even complained that she couldn't go back to school until the following week.

PurplePillowsinGryffindorTower Fri 17-Jul-09 11:13:14

My dd had hers done on 4th Jan last year and went back to school as normal after the holidays.

School let her have a friend to keep her company inside at playtimes and could not take part in gymnastics (schools decission)and was not allowed to swim for 6 weeks.

Other than that she was fine but wore dark glasses whilst outside mainly to stop the other kids going "ewww"

Good luck for the op, I'm sure your dd will be fine grin

Seona1973 Fri 17-Jul-09 12:45:54

DD was told not to swim for 2 weeks and was back to nursery within a week. She had drops in twice a day for 2 weeks too and was not co-operative at all about them.

anniebear Fri 17-Jul-09 20:41:39

thank you

mrsruffallo Fri 17-Jul-09 21:00:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now