Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

PERIODS - Is it true that.......

(16 Posts)
sweetheart Thu 16-Jul-09 16:16:25

The trigger for a girl starting her period is when she reaches 7.5 Stone?

My neighbour came out with this gem of info the other day and said it was a medically proven fact. Would be great to know if she is in fact a wise woman!

shivermetimbers Thu 16-Jul-09 16:19:30

I have heard the same thing but not sure if it is a medically proven fact.

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jul-09 16:20:43

well certainly not in my case - I was 15 (or was it 14) when they started, can't remember how much I weighed but I've always been on the heavy side

schneebly Thu 16-Jul-09 16:21:44

I was 13 when I got them and weighed between 9 and 10 stones.

LadyGlencoraSnape Thu 16-Jul-09 16:23:43

I don't think it is a medically proven fact. I think there is a link between weight and onset of periods but it is not that cut and dried.

QOD Thu 16-Jul-09 16:25:15

no, cos I heard 6 stone LOL
From experience, it comes after pubic hair! LOL
My dd has biiig boobies, proper ones but not a fluff in sight so hopefully we have a while

Twims Thu 16-Jul-09 16:26:29

I am sure when I watched a sex ed prog on bbc a couple of years ago that periods started when a girl reached a certain weight but can't remember which. And also I always thought the reason anoreics stopped their periods was due to being to thin.

foofi Thu 16-Jul-09 16:27:04

I thought it was 7.5 stone as well.

ilovetochat Thu 16-Jul-09 16:27:36

my period started when i was 11 and weighed 5 1/2 stone but i did have pubic hair from age 10.

sweetheart Thu 16-Jul-09 16:27:37

oh well, not to worry - dd is only 9 so hopefully we have a while before we have to worry about that anyway.

Thanks for your info grin

foofi Thu 16-Jul-09 16:28:03

When I was at school it was definitely the 'larger' girls who started first.

CarGirl Thu 16-Jul-09 16:33:15

but weight has to be linked to height surely! I conceived despite contraception at 6st and a bit, in fact my periods probably started when I weighed about 5st - probably an awful lot to do with the fact I am tiny!

TrillianAstra Thu 16-Jul-09 16:35:29

I've heard it linked to weight as well, also the onset of puberty in boys is apparently linked to weight. I think there are probably a number of factors, with weight being one of them.

frasersmummy Thu 16-Jul-09 16:35:38

I really dont know but is it maybe just an average .. ie girls start their periods from x age to x age and at this stage in life they generally weight around the 7.5 stone mark..??

TrillianAstra Thu 16-Jul-09 16:39:14

Not rpecisely what you were asking, but apparently being overweight in childhood is linked to early onset of puberty. here

suwoo Thu 16-Jul-09 16:51:49

It was Professor Winston that said it on one of his programmes many years ago. Sorry, I can't be arsed googling it for you grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now