Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler with a stye

(6 Posts)
Bakersman Thu 16-Jul-09 13:31:24

dd (aged 2.5) has what looks like a stye on her top eyelid. The same eye was very gunky last week but that has got a lot better but not stopped totally.
Any ideas if I need to take her to the dr or chemist or if there's something I can do at home?
Thanks in advance

Bakersman Thu 16-Jul-09 17:02:25

Shameless bump

Bakersman Thu 16-Jul-09 19:21:35

Anybody, pleeease?

MarmMummy Thu 16-Jul-09 21:21:37

Sorry, read this earlier and thought I'd replied ..... duh!

My 3yr old DS has one now - so enormous that GP referred to Moorfields Eye Clinic shock. He also had one last year, that lasted 4 months!!!

Basically the advice seems to be a hot or warm compress and a bit of a light massage. When it looks close to bursting it can spread infection across the eye, so best to have eye drops. You need a prescription for this age group (although you can buy it over the counter if you pretend its for an adult as its the same stuff).

This time we have also been prescribed oral ABs due to its size I guess, we weren't last time.

When I asked another poster suggested something called eye bright. Can't do links but check out my post called 'am I right to ignore this' or somesuch from a couple of days ago.

Actually, will bump it up for you!

pickyvic Thu 16-Jul-09 21:44:31

hi - a good one for styes is to "warm spoon" them.
put a teaspoon into a cup of very hot water, wrap a tea towel round it then press the warm spoon against the stye - obviously BE VERY CAREFUL that the spoon isnt too hot!

a stye is jsut a blocked hair follicle and the heat helps.

i would also get advice from your optician.

Bakersman Fri 17-Jul-09 13:16:10

Thanks for the advice, will try the heat treatment trick and massage if she will let me.
Marm, your poor ds! Hope he's ok and doesn't get anymore they sound awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now