Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MMR jabs... Feeling very unsure

(11 Posts)
Haribosmummy Wed 15-Jul-09 12:00:29

DS (13 months) is due to have his MMR jabs this afternoon.

I've ummed and ahhed about this for ages and cancelled one appt. (last week) because he wasn't too well and had a temp.

He's supposed to be going today and I really don't know whether to take him...

I'm due to have another baby in 2 weeks, so could really do without him having horrid side effects, but then not sure it would be better to deal with that now, rather than after the baby is here.

Any advice would be gratefully receieved

HM

mrsdisorganised Wed 15-Jul-09 12:08:17

I know how you feel! I waited until my dd1,2 and 3 were 4 years before they had any of their immunistions, I felt happier. My dd4 is 21 months and has just had her first lot of immunisations and is due to have her MMR now but like you I am feeling uneasyhmm will probably do it before dc5 arrives in October.

If you're happy for DS to have his MMR then I would have it now to get any unwanted side affects over before you new one arrives, they don't always get side affects, my GP says to give calpol before and after just to help prevent anything. Good luck.

RenagadeMum Wed 15-Jul-09 12:09:59

Just do it.

Last month my friends 11 month old got measles from a child in church whos parents felt it was inappropriate to give him MMR.

My friends son ended up having emergency surgery on his bowel from measles related complications. My friend nearly collapsed when the surgeon told her how close he had been to dying.The people in church were mortified to find out they had nearly killed her LO.

Unless you are planning on having single jabs surely a few days of grizzliness is better than risking the above scenario. Depending on where you live there are so many unvaccinated children around there is no longer herd immunity.

Good luck with the new baby! smile

mrsdisorganised Wed 15-Jul-09 12:12:22

Just to say my dd's had no side affects from the MMR so don't worry too much!smile

RenagadeMum Wed 15-Jul-09 12:14:27

Could second that too Mrsdis.

Neither of mine had any complications at all. Strange how few of us actually say that though and it is only those who had the worst time seem to declare it.

pagwatch Wed 15-Jul-09 12:14:36

There is a vaccinations section on MN. If you post there you might get more responses.

( and I can then avoid posts where people suggest that my necessarily unvaccinated daughter might "kill" someone hmm)

Haribosmummy Wed 15-Jul-09 12:15:03

Thankyou!

This is what I need to hear (Renagademum - glad your friend's LO was OK)

nellie12 Wed 15-Jul-09 12:15:31

Another one to say no side effects in any of mine. Do it now you really wont want to be going when you are recovering from birth and have to trail new baby along too. hth

MadEyeballsMoody Wed 15-Jul-09 12:18:00

I know exactly how you feel. I was reasonably sure dd woould have the mmr until the morning of the appointment. I looked at her and just couldn't do it so I cancelled. She has had her single measles jab and is having rubella on Saturday. It's very expensive and a shedload of hassle but, I don't know, I just couldn't bring myself to take her in.

I think you have to go with your gut feeling on this, there is so much conflicting advice you'd be going round in circles forever.

Seeline Wed 15-Jul-09 12:19:08

Neither of my DCs had any real side effects after MMr - one had a little bit of a rash for a few days but was fine with Calpol. Get it done - it will help protect the baby too. If DC1 catches measles when DC2 is very small .... Also, ahving recently had to take DD for her pre-school boosters, the vaccination process is so much easier for a small child than one who needs to have everything explained sad.

Pyrocanthus Wed 15-Jul-09 12:36:37

Seconding what Seeline says about protecting DC2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now