Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MMR reaction, does this sound familiar to anyone? Should I be worried?

(15 Posts)
Kiwijen Wed 15-Jul-09 10:16:28

Hi there. My son had his first MMR exactly a week ago. 2 days ago (5 days post jag) he became quite unwell, with very high temps. 39.7 at the highest, 37.4 at lowest. Loaded him with Calpol, kept him cool etc etc and he seemed to come right after over 24 hours. Yesterday he developed a few 'spots', and in the evening woke very hysterical from a nap and could not be consoled for about 20 minutes.
this morning have woken to child covered in red pinpoint rash. It's on his face, soles of feet, palm of one hand, back and chest. His eyes are no longer runny, but he is off his food. In himself seems ok, but not 100%/

Rang NHS 24 and have been waiting over an hour for them to get back to me. Am reluctant to contact GP as generally get treated as a neurotic mum by them.

Does anyone have any advice? Am starting to think it may be more than a 'reaction'

saintlydamemrsturnip Wed 15-Jul-09 10:19:58

It sounds within the normal range of reaction. And in fact a rash is good as it suggests it's worked.

Do keep an eye on him of course and don't hesitate to contact someone if you get concerned but as he seems OK in himself I wouldn't worry to much. I would go on how he is rather than any rashes etc.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 10:41:19

It isn't what every child will have so keep an eye. How old is he?

Never bother what a doctor will think if you want someone to check him over, it is what they are there for.

What does the injection site look like?

Montifer Wed 15-Jul-09 10:56:00

DS had rash on face, hands and feet and mushy poos a week after MMR a few weeks ago. It settled down after a couple of days.
He didn't have temps nor was he off his food (although I'd be really worried if he didn't eat as he's sooo greedy!). I think all of those symptoms are to be expected after MMR.

Hope it all settles down soon, if you are worried could you call GP or maybe attend baby clinic to put your mind at rest?

Kiwijen Wed 15-Jul-09 11:20:45

Thanks for all your thoughts. My son is 13 months, I have just got back from GP who has diagnosed an ear infection and given me antibiotics. He would not say that it was related to MMR. Said not to be concerned about the rash at all and he will come right on the Amoxyl.
I'm still not convinced. I think it has everything to do with the jag and am seriously rethinking whether he should get 2nd dose at 3 yrs.

The injection site was red and raised for a couple days post jag but is ok now.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 11:22:47

I doubt any GP would say anything was a reaction to a jab tbh.

saintlydamemrsturnip Wed 15-Jul-09 11:52:05

I'm stunned he said that it wasn't likely to be related to the MMR. A fever with or without a rash a week to 2 weeks after receiving MMR is a listed well known side effect. It's classed as a mild reaction. I would consider it a good reaction because it means your child has probably had a good immune response to the measles component.

have a google and you'll see lots eg this info sheet from Nova Scotia

saintlydamemrsturnip Wed 15-Jul-09 12:03:13

oh a quick read of the glaxosmithkline information sheet for MMR lists otitis media (ear infection) as an uncommon reaction ( 0.1-1% of cases) suspected to have a causal relationship with the jab.

ButterbeerAndLemon Wed 15-Jul-09 12:03:35

It sounds like an entirely typical post-MMR reaction ("entirely typical" meaning that it's not at all uncommon, although it won't happen to the majority of children). The only question mark in my mind would be that it came on quite quickly at only 5 days post-vaccination; 7-10 days would be a more normal delay period.

It's quite likely if he's had this reaction to this dose that he won't have any reaction at all to the second dose in a couple of years. DS had a nasty reaction to his first MMR (not a rash, but other stuff) but there was no reaction at all to the second one.

Kiwijen Wed 15-Jul-09 12:05:53

I agree and I think it's wrong. Various people have given me varying opinions. The Health Visitor I spoke to yesterday on the phone seemed to think high temps and a rash post jag was quite normal. The GP says no. Various friends have had reactions, and researching the net brings up some interesting points. It's all very confusing and I think the information we are given as parents inregards to vaccs is not enough. It seems to be the attitude of 'better to be vaccinated than not' which I fullly agree with, but I would have liked to know more about the side effects at the time of immunisation. And not to find out when my son is in the full throes of a reaction (I am convinced it is) then be told it's not. Am I making sense or have I just worked myself up into a right old stew?
Funny how you lose all rationality when your wee ones aren't well.

saintlydamemrsturnip Wed 15-Jul-09 12:12:47

Of course you are making sense. I vaccinated my eldest son until it all went pear shaped and ds2 and ds3 have yet to receive any vaccinations. They will receive some eventually. I have found a few in the medical profession to have sensible conversations about their situation - enough to be able to make some decisions, but most doctors simply don't have the knowledge and all you get is the standard line.

I think they would get further with parents if they were actually honest about how much is known and reactions. Rather than dismissing and refusing to discuss it.

Rindercella Wed 15-Jul-09 12:24:52

Kiwijen, you are making absolute sense. See my thread here where my DD had exactly the same reaction to the MMR as your DS and we were fobbed off by the GP in exactly the same way as you have been.

I did not give DD the anitibiotics as I knew she did not have an ear infection. Thankfully she got back to her usual bright self fairly quickly, but it was a huge worry and has certainly made us think twice about the MMR (and GPs angry).

I hope your little boy gets better again soon. smile

Kiwijen Wed 15-Jul-09 12:36:33

Oh Ladies thank you so much for all the advice. I feel a lot better after reading all your responses. This website is worth its weight in gold!!
Good to know I'm not being neurotic blush. My daughter is almost 4 and sailed through all her vaccs. IS this a boy thing? wink

Kiwijen Wed 15-Jul-09 12:50:07

RIndercella
THank you for your link, have just finished reading it. Makes for pretty scary reading tbh. My little guy had 2 episodes of high pitched hysterical screaming yesterday that took quite some time to calm him.
I am now considering whether to continue with the Amoxyl. Have had one dose of diarrhoea already and he only had the first dose an hour and a half ago! AARRGGHHH!! I am back to work tomorrow and not wanting to leave him with his childminder.

thehairybabysmum Wed 15-Jul-09 13:13:19

I think the rash is a relatively common after symptom and as others say it is a sign of what is effectively a mild case of the measles/mumps or rubella coming out inthe body. I was told by the nurse to expect mild symptoms up to 3 weeks post jab. Seems odd that your Dr wasnt aware of this, unless he is a bit defensive due to declining MMR rates.

FYIW my opinion on the jab would be that if measles/mumps or rubella can make them unwell at this level of mildness im thankful they are now unlikely to get the full blown things.

My DS1 had his booster a couple of weeks ago and is defo crabbier than normal at the mo. Though no temperature which he did have first time round.

Also both mine tend to get post-viral rashes a few days after they may have had a cold or such like, even a mild one, so a rash can be fairly inooccuosu i think.

Hope your DS is back to normal soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now