Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any suggestions for relieving bunged up nose in 5 month old

(6 Posts)
Warwickmum Wed 15-Jul-09 09:09:39

I'm guessing there aren't really any ways to sort this other than letting it run its course, but poor DS has really snotty/bunged up nose that is interfering with feeding a bit, but mostly stopping him getting to sleep (which I think he really needs to try and get rid of this cold) as he can't keep his thumb in (which he uses to drop off) and breathe at same time. Took to docs yest as worried cough was starting to sound chesty and he said was just upper respiratory system and not on his chest thankfully. Have been trying baby Vic on chest and back, karvol, and currently have a steam generator going to try and humidify the air a bit. Any suggestions gratefully received.

namechangerforareason Wed 15-Jul-09 09:30:36

My DS suffers terribly from congestion of the nose. You can buy nasal drops, but we used a very small amount of cooled boiled water to do same thing. A few drops up nose (be prepared for crying and spluttering) and it usually loosens the congestion to allow them to sneeze it out or let it run out.
We also bought a nasal aspirator this one for about £7 in tesco(think boots sell them too) and it really does help. It looks like a torture device but my DS thinks its a game and it doesnt bother him. It sounds disgusting but you suck out the contents of the nose, there is a valve so it can only go so far in the chamber so no chance you can suck it into your mouth. For our situation it really is the best solution.

Hope you get it sorted as it cant be very nice for any of you if his sleeping and feeding are affected.(we also use baby snuffle rub on his chest when really bad)

namechangerforareason Wed 15-Jul-09 09:32:03

Sorry just checked my link and it main page, the aspirator is third down on left column hope this works

littleboyblue Wed 15-Jul-09 09:39:53

My 5 month old also has a little cold and blocked nose. I am using snufflebabe on his chest, Karvol drops on a cloth tied to the cot and I have raised the head of his mattress by putting a pillow under it. When it gets really bad, I use nasosal drops and the nasal aspirator before feeding.

HolidaysQueen Wed 15-Jul-09 09:47:05

i second a pillow under the mattress, and steam/karvol. i put a pan of boiling water close to the cot (but obviously not anywhere where i owuld knock it over) with karvol or olbas oil in. still smells in the morning so think it lasts really well overnight - certainly helps him sleep better.
olbas oil on a muslin in the cot works well too.

Warwickmum Wed 15-Jul-09 17:35:32

Thanks for the suggestions. Will have a try at using them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now