Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

are there lotsof colds, tummy ahces and headaches doing the rounds where you are?

(10 Posts)
ipiratethief Wed 15-Jul-09 09:00:49

dd has woken up this morning, with temp, headache, and is obviously unwell, so is off school. AGAIN!! It was a tummy ache last week, and it just seems she is very quick and alsways has been to catch any tiny bug doing the rounds. The sort that get her, she has a day off and if fine the next day.

seems odd.

I am annoyed as the sun is shining and i had stuff to do.!

Niecie Wed 15-Jul-09 09:05:55

Is she in the infants? They do seem to get every little thing going at that age. It improves as they get older.

DS2 was off for one day last week with a temperature. He has a slight cough too but not bad and not the kind that keeps him awake at night.

I am beginning to wonder if they are getting very mild swine flu and then I tell myself to get a grip as it was just like this with DS1.

The weird thing is that I don't remember children (me included) having this sort of thing all the time when I was a child. Is that just me looking at the past with rosy coloured glasses or did we really not get random temps, tummy aches, sore throats etc?

ipiratethief Wed 15-Jul-09 09:09:40

neicie, hi she is 7, but has always got everything. has slight asthma, and had it worse when she was tiny, so was coughing at night s for about 2 yrs.

I am just totally paranoid about her time off, as it's been pointed ot to me from school before.

She has had a cough on and off too, the couhg was responsible for her having 2 days off about 3 weeks back, maybe there is a reduced version going round, i mean who knows. Gp's don't they just say 'virus' don't they. Your are right there seems to be so much going round, and much more than when we were little.

Niecie Wed 15-Jul-09 11:08:30

Oh dear - having asthma can't help. Makes her more prone to illnes and you more worried about her.

Did the school point out her days off sick in a threatening way? That would be a bit of a worry although if she is ill she is ill - there isn't much you can do other than be a bit stricter about when she can have time off ie, no time off for a cold but if she is sick, has a temperature or isn't eating and sleeping then she stays off. Makes every illness all the more stressful though, doesn't it?

Did her tummy ache last week come to anything? Is she a worrier and maybe thinks of ways of getting out of things like having a non-specific tummy ache. I remember doing that once as a child - any ache I had was probably anxiety induced and I suspect, disappeared as soon as I didn't have to go to school.

Don't know what to suggest really other than maybe boosting her immune system with vitamins and supplements?

ipiratethief Wed 15-Jul-09 21:05:45

hi, thanks for your reply!

She is a worrier, yes, but has problems with her dad, my ex dh. Yet I don't think this is connected this time, tho in the past it has soemtimes crossed my mind. Also I have heard that anxious children can get tummy ache, I did when i was little, still do sometimes!.

I have learnt this morning from a mum, that there is a weird bug going round. One that starts, stops and restarts more than a week later!

Cough and cold, turns into tummy ache, aching legs, headache.

She has been really low today, banging headache. Got a little better in afternon, but she's il again this evening. bags under eyes, tummy ache and a bit of a runny bum.

I don't think she'll be back to school 2morro. i spoke to the head a few weeks back, and he isn't too concerned about her being off, it was a comment by someone else, to do with the school last year that did upset me a bit. As the head said, it's the government putting on the pressure.

trefusis Wed 15-Jul-09 21:10:19

Message withdrawn

ipiratethief Wed 15-Jul-09 21:21:02

hiya, sounds very familiar.

I myself (we always forget ourselves don't we)had a rotten headache last week, and I was exhausted, to the point that I fell asleep for 3 hours saturday. In the week i was so tired, that one eveing i woke up on the sofa and couldn't remember if i'd put dd to bed! Totally disorientated from fatigue.

my dad had the lightheadedness/sick feeling and tiredness over last weekend.

is this some sort of swine flu sideline lurgy?

How is your dd now?

trefusis Wed 15-Jul-09 21:27:28

Message withdrawn

trefusis Wed 15-Jul-09 21:28:42

Message withdrawn

ipiratethief Wed 15-Jul-09 21:48:01

well after decamping to my bed, and having a cry, the kids ipuprophen seems to have kicked in.

i'm in south devon, not much of the swine flu here either afaik !!

not sure dd will see the end of term, but hope she can go in as would be nice to end itproperly , as her teacher is leaving too.

hope all is ok by your hols, where are you off too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now