Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hypothyrodism and blood tests on newborns advice

(7 Posts)
mafog Tue 14-Jul-09 21:41:49

I have a well controlled underactive thyroid, this is my third pregnancy.

I have been advised that the baby will have to have a blood test for thyroid function soon after post birth, then at 10 days and possibly more depending on the results (to check their thyroid functions).

With pregnancy no. 1 we just had the normal guthrie test which is offered to all babies.

With pregnancy no. 2 we had a guthrie and a special thyroid blood test 10 days (Different area).

I'm not convinced of the need for the post birth blood test (especially as it's being given as a reason for me not to give birth at a ML unit) as it needs to be done within 24 hours of birth. I've yet to see the consultant to argue about it grin but I don't think that blood test would be a true reflection of what the baby is capable of doing with their own thyroid.

To those of you who've had hypothyroidism, what tests did your babies receive and at what point?

ToutFucker Tue 14-Jul-09 21:46:47

I have a controlled underactive thyroid (is basically fecked) and was never offered any extra testing for my two babies

I cannot see any reason why it is necessary, tbh

EldonAve Tue 14-Jul-09 21:50:27

DC1 - no testing
DC2 - (diff hosp) had the blood tests. One post birth and then repeated once or twice (can't recall) the results weren't good the first time but I considered it could have been lab error

I certainly wouldn't have let it stop me giving birth in the location of my choice
Otherwise I was happy for it to be checked

EldonAve Tue 14-Jul-09 21:50:38

DC1 - no testing
DC2 - (diff hosp) had the blood tests. One post birth and then repeated once or twice (can't recall) the results weren't good the first time but I considered it could have been lab error

I certainly wouldn't have let it stop me giving birth in the location of my choice
Otherwise I was happy for it to be checked

EldonAve Tue 14-Jul-09 21:54:28

oops

fizzyanddizzy Wed 15-Jul-09 07:50:28

Hello
yes I was told this last year with my 3rd baby - told that it was now standard procedure for any baby with a mum with thyroid probs.

The test was done as part of the guthrie though I think. Although am a bit hazy on this as he ended up having to have other blood tests within 48 hours which were not pleasant to go through - as a lot of blood was needed out of his heel which took a while sad.

So I would just check how they are going to do it. If it is as part of the guthrie then it is happening anyway so no big deal.

mafog Wed 15-Jul-09 20:04:57

Thanks for the responses, I did wonder if it was a new thing and will ask more about it on Monday when I see my MW. The bit I find a bit weird is the amount of blood tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now