Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My DS may have asthma, is being tested for CF and now has swine flu

(3 Posts)
strawberrycornetto Tue 14-Jul-09 20:33:47

sad sad

He's 16 months and its been one thing after another since October. I'm not sure how much more I can cope with. He's so adorable and its not fair that he's always sick.

Last week he had a severe ear infection which was moving to his chest. Due to his history of chest infections and the fact that he is being tested for cystic fibrosis, he was put on antibiotics. He seemed better but finished them at the weekend and developed a temperature again yesterday. I took him back to the GP today because I thought he needed more antibiotics.

Instead, because of his temperature and because a child at his nursery has swine flu, she thinks its swine flu and has given him tamiflu. Now he's off nursery for 7 days, I can't go to work and I am so worried about him and my older DD.

It all seems a bit crazy. There will be nothing more to confirm the diagnosis so we have to proceed as if he has it when it could still be the bacterial infection which is now not being treated. And if its swine flu, I'm obviously worried because he does fall into the category of children with underlying health issues.

This whole thing is so weird, its like a medievil plague or something. Everyone panicking and wondering where the infection will strike next. I just feel exhausted with all the worry.

Elibean Tue 14-Jul-09 21:19:17

Strawberry sad of all things for you to have to deal with now...

FWIW, I think the only way to think about SF is to shrug away as much of the panic surrounding it as possible. It doesn't help, and for most of us - including most of us with underlying health issues - its not too severe. I know that doesn't take away the awfulness of how it affects the tiny minority who react so badly to it, but it IS a tiny minority...people on chemo have had it, kids with asthma have had it, most of them are ok. Keep reminding yourself of that, whilst keeping a vigilant (and experienced!) eye on your ds and dd.

I would be concerned about whether there is ongoing bacterial infection though, and if in doubt call the GP and hassle her about it as much as you need to get peace of mind: there could be a case for your ds getting more antibiotics anyway, if he's so prone to infections, maybe?? I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but I would ask about that I think.

You could really do with not having to worry about work atm, too....are you still considering a doctor's note for yourself?

strawberrycornetto Wed 15-Jul-09 12:10:18

Thanks Elibean. He seems quite well to be honest, although we had stress overnight when his temp fell really low (just over 35). Of course, because everything is so stressed, it took the emergency doctor from 10 until 5.30 to come back to us, and the receptionist told me to google it!!!

Anyway, I am going to see the doctor this afternoon to see if she will sign me off until after the results of the CF test come through. Work gave me compassionate leave for today but I am having a hard time. DH goes away for work tomorrow and I really don't want him to be away right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now