Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Am I right to be ignoring this?

(19 Posts)
MarmMummy Mon 13-Jul-09 19:35:27

My DS has been complaining of 'not feeling very well' for about a week now. When pressed he says his legs hurt.

He is eating well, sleeping normally, not running a temp. He has a stye of epic proportions though!

I have been assuming this is randon toddler talk - he's just turned 3, but today I was wondering if I was fobbing him off.

monkeypinkmonkey Mon 13-Jul-09 20:01:32

I think you will know if he is not well, if you are worried get him checked out by GP. My 3 year old does the same, I do worry I'm ignoring him but when hes ill you can tell from his behaviour. Is he just under weather?

MarmMummy Mon 13-Jul-09 20:30:14

I think he's probably fine.

He's been less active since getting chicken pox about 2 months ago - wanting to go in the pushchair rather than walk, but I am not sure its anything other than being a bit under the weather.

PortAndLemon Mon 13-Jul-09 21:12:16

If I wasn't sure he was managing to eat a good balanced diet I might give him a daily vitamin for a while, just until he was back on top of the weather again. But otherwise I wouldn't worry too much -- although possibly decide to see the GP if he seemed no better in a month's time.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 13-Jul-09 21:14:19

My 2 complained of leg pain.

Trip to GP then physio, needed treatment/exercises.

Before you panic too much though DD had history of limb problems.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 13-Jul-09 21:23:01

Where abouts does his leg hurt?

MarmMummy Mon 13-Jul-09 21:51:02

Fluffy - not sure. I tend to just give them a kiss better or distract him!

Oddly he hasn't really mentioned it to DH so maybe its his way of getting my attention?

Am off to docs in morning anyway so may mention it briefly if the opportunity arises. Was vaguely wondering if it could be 'growing pains'?!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 13-Jul-09 21:55:22

It depends where it is, if it's a hip pain then it needs looking at by a doctor. I'd be tempted to get it checked either way, it could just be a little muscle pain or something else. Small children are a PITA to diagnose as they can't always tell you exactly how they are feeling so it's alot of guess work by ruling nasties out first. You know what he's normally like though, if you think he's being 'off sorts' then get him checked. Do mention it tomorrow if he's OK but complaining though, he may have just pulled a muscle.

MarmMummy Tue 14-Jul-09 17:30:56

Well, I took him to the docs for his stye and she is sending us to Moorfields Clinic at george's Hospital in the morning!!! shock and given him ABs to take in the meantime

Whilst in there I mentioned the feeling ill/leg thing and she decided to do a full blood test in 2 weeks time shock shock

Didn't look at his legs though

All a bit weird.....feel possibly like a crap mummy now, I guess she's just being cautious....

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 14-Jul-09 18:08:31

She's being cautious, they normally exclude the nasties first as there are certain things that need urgent treatment. It's good that he's being checked out properly, no stone unturned and all that. smile

kickassangel Tue 14-Jul-09 18:18:49

dd has just had blood tests after similar complaints, and turns out she has low iron count. just needs vitamins for a few weeks.

she made similar complaints

MarmMummy Tue 14-Jul-09 18:52:21

Thanks, thats reassuring! smile

moosemama Tue 14-Jul-09 18:59:18

Hi, my ds2 (now 5 but started when he was 3) suffers intermittently from chalazions (pronounced kul ay zeon). They look a bit like a stye but are encapsulated within the eyelid rather than right on the eyelid rim. They can grow really really big and get infected needing antibiotics to clear them, as if they are left the pressure can cause damage to the eye surface.

We had a nightmare with doctors insisting on giving him topical treatment, which is useless, every time one fared up until the consultant at the hospital sent them a letter saying he needs abs straight away as soon as a lump appears.

If your ds has an infected chalazion, the infection will be in his system and may well be making him feel poorly. In which case the ab's will probably sort him out.

Doesn't explain the leg pain though, but as you said, that could be something separate to the eye problem, although interestingly, ds2 also used to suffer from cramp in his legs and feet. (So maybe there is a connection somewhere between the two - nutritional perhaps as kickassangel mentioned?)

We give him:

Daily multivitamins nothing fancy, just haliborange liquid
Childrens' Echinacea (dropped into a small amount of apple juice)
Bioforce Euphrasia, also known as eyebright (one drop in a small amount of water) which is supposed to prevent styes and chalazion

and <runs around touching lots of wood> he hasn't had a chalazion since last September and doesn't seem to get leg cramps very often any more either.

moosemama Tue 14-Jul-09 19:00:02

flared up not fared up blush

MarmMummy Tue 14-Jul-09 21:01:34

That's so interesting Moosemama. DS had a stye .. or possibly what you are describing. It went on for 4 months!!!! They kept prescribing different topical ointments etc but even when I asked, no oral ABs. Lovely GP today was very 'Hmmmmm' that he hadn't been given them last time .....as was I.

Thanks for vitamin tips, think I will get those. I feel he has a balanced diet, but no harm in doubling up surely! smile

bottletopbill Tue 14-Jul-09 21:16:25

dont delay with this, my friends lo had what appeared to be a black eye.

it never cleared and afer a trip to the docs, then hosp has just been diagnosed with a very, very rare form of cancer.

Another friend's daughter felt ill with a bad cold, also had brusing on her body. Again trip to doc's, hosp for bloods and has also been diagnosed with a rare luekemia.

Im very causeous and look for all these signs now - its like you say you only know about these things when it happens to you

rupertsabear Tue 14-Jul-09 21:17:44

There are other things that can be complications following childhood illnesses - like rheumatic fever for example, which is very serious and needs treating. So doc is probably making sure he doesn't have some kind of post-viral complication that needs dealing with.

MarmMummy Thu 16-Jul-09 21:25:51

Just bumping up for stye info ........... though have now read last 2 posts and am now imagining the worst..... Have blood tests booked for next Fri.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 16-Jul-09 21:28:16

Oh, don't worry. I have medical experience, it's normal and standard practice for them to go OTT. The illnesses that people have written about on here are incredibly rare. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now