Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mumps

(13 Posts)
DesperateHousewifeToo Mon 13-Jul-09 16:39:41

Dd (4yrs) has appointment first thing tommorow to confirm whether or not she has mumps. She has had first MMR but not booster yet.

Has anyones dc had it?

What were their symptoms and how long did it last?

What is the likelyhood of 7yr old ds (who has had booster for mmr) catching it from 4yr old sister sad?

(Swine flu is in her nursery too. Oh joy!)

DesperateHousewifeToo Mon 13-Jul-09 20:13:02

No-one? [sob]

bubbleymummy Mon 13-Jul-09 20:45:58

Both my sister and I had it when we were younger and were fine. Don't panic - it's usually very mild and then she will have immunity for life - it actually might be a good thing if your son catches it before he hits puberty anyway - that way he will be protected before he gets to the age where it becomes a bit more risky.

morocco Mon 13-Jul-09 20:50:58

ds1 had it - no mistaking it - his face looked unbelievably swollen - so swollen you just would not imagine it could ever look like that. he was remarkably well considering and didn't seem ill for too long or too badly - let's put it this way - he's made more fuss over a bad cold before now. think he quite enjoyed the reactions of everyone else

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 20:55:11

don't suppose you're in the SE are you desperatehousewife?

DesperateHousewifeToo Mon 13-Jul-09 21:04:14

I'm in West London. Have you heard of anyone else with it, thisisyesterday? GP receptionist said she had not heard of anyone locally but I guess it has to start somewhere.

Poor little love. She perked up a bit this evening and actually ate some bread and butter (only small sips of water earlier) and smiled a bit.

The rest of the day was spent sleeping or crying and being carried from her bed to the sofa and back again.

She could barely lift her head or move it without crying.

We were supposed to be going to Legoland today too. At least I saved some money wink

DesperateHousewifeToo Mon 13-Jul-09 21:05:12

ps the [sob] was of being ignoredsad, not panic - in case anyone was worried grin

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 15-Jul-09 12:29:48

Doc said yesterday that it is not mumps, just a nasty virus.

Has a developing rash today. Off to doc again this afternoon! Scarlet Fever?

morocco Fri 17-Jul-09 21:56:34

any update? is she feeling better?

Feelingforty Fri 17-Jul-09 22:44:34

my DD had mumps recently. She said it felt like 66 people were strangling her. The next day she was fine. Had the rest of the week (3 days) off school & took nuerofen. Her face was swollen on one side, a sort of lopsided Desperate Dan.

She hasn't had any MMMR & neither has her sister. DD2 didn't catch it.

I understand it's usually quite a mild disease. Hope she is feeling better soon.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sat 18-Jul-09 12:19:15

Thankyou morocco and feelingforty, we ended up back at the doctors again the next day (wednesday) as she got a rash too.

She has scarlet fever.

It has been horrible. Her neck was so swollen around her ears and jaw and she could barely open her mouth for GP to see her throat and when she was laying down, had to be helped up againsad

Was worse than looking after a newborn at night.

She has gradually been perking up over the last few days but being sick occasionally and has joint pain. Still not moving her head much but I had to tell her off about something yesterday which was great grin

She has had a whole digestive biscuit today rather than the nibbles of things she's been having since monday.

I'm looking forward to leaving the house at some point next week. Have only managed the 2 trips to the GP last week. Thank goodness for Ocado!

Feelingforty Sat 18-Jul-09 19:29:29

Perhaps make up some homemade organic chicken soup, followed by an bowl of icecream or an ice lolly.

Hope she & you are better soon.

morocco Sat 18-Jul-09 22:06:41

poor little lamb - that sounds rough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now