Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Antibiotics for suspected meningococcal septicaemia - ideas for restoring digestive bacteria?

(6 Posts)
WhatFreshHellIsThis Sat 11-Jul-09 21:24:59

DS2 (3 months old) was admitted to hospital for observation last Sunday after he developed a rash that wouldn't fade under the glass test. 'Observation' apparently includes a whopping great dose of IV antibiotics.

He's fine in himself, but seems to have gone backwards in terms of his digestion - he had been very refluxy and colicky in the evenings, and had just started settling beautifully, but now is back to being uncomfortable and fractious all evening.

I wonder if the antibiotics have killed off all his nice healthy gut bacteria - is there anything I can do to help them regenerate? He's BF, but I'm wondering about homeopathic remedies or anything like that? Or is it just a case of waiting it out?

SoupDragon Sat 11-Jul-09 21:26:28

A MNer recommended this when I asked a similar question.

SoupDragon Sat 11-Jul-09 21:27:03

I would have thought the breastmilk would sort him out though.

KnickKnack Sat 11-Jul-09 21:29:36

Solgar ABC dophilus
Higher Nature Probioeasy

Get in any good health store (probably not in a holland/barrett)

They are both in a tasteless white powder.
Add quarter teaspoon to a little milk on a spoon (breast, formula, or even water).
Give once a day, after or during a feed, at a different time to the antibiotics.
Keep using after course of antiB has finished (might as well use whole jar).
Preferably store in fridge.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Sat 11-Jul-09 21:31:21

Thank you! he's not on the antiB's any more, he didn't develop any more symptoms so we managed to escape. any ideas how long it might take to get back to normal?

KnickKnack Sat 11-Jul-09 21:31:22

Doh, of course the breast milk will do a fab job too grin

(although I did find DS a lot less windy when I started using it, even though he was breastfed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now