Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Signs of dehydration in toddler?

(15 Posts)
TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 11-Jul-09 21:19:12

Ds has been vomiting all evening, he can't even seem to hold down breastmilk, which is unusual. He was bad like this about a year ago but he still had his fontanelle and I could check that.

How do I know if he's becoming dehydrated? He seems quite drowsy and floppy but then it is bedtime and he has had a busy day!

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 21:23:42

Dry mouth, eyes sunken, fontanelle a bit smaller, pale, poor vascular response (squeeze his finger and then release, does the blood flow back quickly)?

stubbyfingers Sat 11-Jul-09 21:25:53

Not weeing much and shrivelled up testicles (I think).

fryalot Sat 11-Jul-09 21:26:42

listless looking eyes that seem dull.

If you're getting liquids in him in the first place, he will be getting some fluids even though it seems like he's getting rid of them straight away.

You know the rehydration drink recipe, don't you? Tis a bit disgusting so he may not want to drink it, but if you can get some down him, it will help

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 11-Jul-09 21:26:58

His eyes aren't sunken and he doesn't have a fontanelle, but the blood isn't going back into his finger. sad Poor little guy, he seems ok in himself - as I said, a bit drowsy and floppy. He's asleep now, don't want to mess him about, will monitor through the night and take to OOH dr's in the morning if I'm still worried.

Thanks WMMC! smile

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 21:27:50

Put a tissue in his nappy, this will show if he is urinating. Disposables can disguise a little wee very effectively.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 11-Jul-09 21:28:02

Dry nappies, check. Didn't check his testicles.

What's the rehydration recipe? Is it better than breastmilk?

fryalot Sat 11-Jul-09 21:31:02

um... dunno, found it on here when dd2 was ill.

I'll seek it out and post a link...

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 21:32:01

Breastmilk is still better! But if he's really dehydrated Hartmanns infusion is best through an IV. wink

fryalot Sat 11-Jul-09 21:35:45

found this:

Preparing a 1 (one) litre oral rehydration solution [ORS] using Salt, Sugar and Water at Home

Mix an oral rehydration solution using one of the following recipes; depending on ingredients and container availability:

Ingredients:

* one level teaspoon of salt
* eight level teaspoons of sugar
* one litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled
5 cupfuls (each cup about 200 ml.)

Preparation Method:

Stir the mixture till the salt and sugar dissolve.

which looks familiar.

I have absolutely no idea whether it's better than bm or not, but if WMMC says it's not, then it's not grin

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 11-Jul-09 21:36:36

Thanks.

Wish I knew what caused it. He had a hot dog at lunchtime at a barbeque but I thought food poisoning took longer to have an effect. He also fell over on our drive, but I don't think he hit his head - although he skinned his hands and arms nicely. sad I'm also wondering if it could be stress - I've not had a great day with him and have shouted Rather A Lot today, we've had a hectic week too.

Poor little man. Feel really bad for shouting at him now.

fryalot Sat 11-Jul-09 21:40:11

Some types of food poisoning can happen almost instantly, others can take up to two days to show themselves.

It could be a random bug, it could just be tiredness, general run-down-ness or even the heat if it's hot down there right now.

Hope the little sweetie's better soon.

fryalot Sat 11-Jul-09 21:41:24

In fact, if you've not had a great day with him, perhaps he's been coming down with something which has made him a bit fractious. How old is he now? 3?

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 11-Jul-09 21:48:09

He's 2 and a half.

The bad day was more down to me than him, poor love. We went to dh's sailing club for a "family fun" day and dh basically abandoned me with the dc to go sailing, and I was left looking after ds and dd (who's nearly 5 months) near water, in a crowd full of people I don't know! Dh said he'd only be 20 minutes on the water but after an hour of trying to keep ds out of the lake and off the boats I gave up and dragged him home. Furious with dh (but that's another thread)!

fryalot Tue 14-Jul-09 19:27:03

How is he now UD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now