Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

A "how long is a piece of string" question about teething

(4 Posts)
Chulita Sat 11-Jul-09 20:33:19

DD is 7.5 mths and had just whittled her nightly wakings down to one a night until about 5 days ago when she started waking up more often and fussing. Yesterday she wouldn't nap during the day and in the afternoon she started screaming. She didn't want to feed, cuddles didn't calm her down and in the end only calprofen gave her a bit of peace so she could sleep but she was still up 3 times during the night. Today it happened again and she's just got one bottom tooth through with the next one on the way. DH reckons the top 2 feel like they're just waiting to pop out so...

Does anyone know how long the inconsolable screaming goes on for approximately?
Is crying for hours normal? (from what I can find it's normal to have a bit of grumpiness hmm)
Any tips on helping DD over this?

fannybanjo Sat 11-Jul-09 20:39:43

From experience my DDs were like this for around a week but it tended to pilfer off once tooth came through. She will be fine very soon! Hope you get more sleep tonight. I empathise as I am up 3 times a night BF DD3.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 20:45:15

Umm well our record is eight months of screaming before one popped through (that's not very helpful is it? wink)

Actually I find mostly it's a three day thing - two nights of terrible screaming then one of sleep and sometimes it's over and sometimes it starts again but it stops you both from going completely tonto having that third night of sleep.

Teething gel, ibuprofen, frozen wet flannels to chew - whatever gets you through. DD and DS are mad breastfeeders when they are teething though

Chulita Sun 12-Jul-09 07:20:15

Lol, 8 months grin [bleary] let's hope not! She actually started the screaming on Wednesday but her tooth broke through on Sunday so it's delayed reactions I reckon. We've had 1 bad night and 2 awful nights now so hopefully tonight will be a good one cos I'm knackered this morning after 4 wakings...fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now