Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Posting on behalf of another Mnetter.. her dd swallowed 3 to 5 contraceptive pills

(25 Posts)
eandh Sat 11-Jul-09 18:08:11

My friend just text as her dd (2.6) appears to have somehow got hold of her contraceptive pill - 3 to 5 are missing but not sure if she has taken them. Shes trying to get hold of NHS direct but because of swine flu they are only taking emergency calls and recommending speaking to a pharmacist hence me posting this whilst she tries to find some professional help

Anyone got any idea whether these can be poisonous and they should go to a&E?? (did a bit of a google and it appears there have been a fair few children who have done this but nothing I can find for in the UK)

SlartyBartFast Sat 11-Jul-09 18:10:04

yes, go to a & e

SlartyBartFast Sat 11-Jul-09 18:10:25

yes, go to a and e

TheChilliMooseHasGreenFingers Sat 11-Jul-09 18:11:39

Maybe not poisonous, but that's a hefty does of hormones for young child. A&E straight away!

eandh Sat 11-Jul-09 18:19:36

thanks casn't get hold of her so assuming shes on the phone but have found her out of hours GP service and local hospital number so have text them to her

LynetteScavo Sat 11-Jul-09 18:28:31

Oh, I thought they were pretty harmless.

LynetteScavo Sat 11-Jul-09 18:31:12

If you suspect a Nordette Overdose
There have been no reports of serious ill effects from Nordette overdosage, including ingestion by children.

I just found this.

What type of Pill was it?

ButterflEi Sat 11-Jul-09 18:31:47

i did this a child apparantly!! as did my sister!! we had to go to A&E and drink charcoal something or other and vomit [beurgh] not verynice but necessary!! straight to A&E me sayssmile
x ei xx

LynetteScavo Sat 11-Jul-09 18:33:50

Femulen say this:

"Overdose
If you take too many pills or you find out that someone else has taken a lot of pills, contact a doctor immediately."

girlsyearapart Sat 11-Jul-09 18:39:02

Not at all the same but a few years ago my dog got hold of my medecine bag and chewed it all up. When the vet asked what we thought he had taken they were only worried about him potentially swallowing contraceptive pills not epilepsy tablets or v strong painkillers. So if they are dangerous for dogs then i'd get the dc down to a and e sharpish!

LynetteScavo Sat 11-Jul-09 18:45:02

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What to do if you take more Microgynon than you should
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An accidental overdose is unlikely to be harmful but may cause nausea, vomiting and withdrawal bleeding.

laughalot Sat 11-Jul-09 18:49:58

Im the evil mother in question the pill is lyginon [sp]. Waiting for nhs direct to call me back.

laughalot Sat 11-Jul-09 18:50:25

Sorry should say thanks for all your replies and thanks eah for posting.

poppy34 Sat 11-Jul-09 18:50:30

I ate one or two of my
mothers aged about four and think advice was not to panic - don't recall being given anything to make me sick etc

PerfectPrefect Sat 11-Jul-09 18:53:38

My Neice did this (I think she had almost a ful strip).

She was rushed to teh GP by her mother who was reassured that it wouldn't harm her and that the only thing that might happen is a bit of bleeding over the next few days.

However, you should get specific medical advice, as there are different types of pill, and I don't know what type this was.

candyfluff Sat 11-Jul-09 19:07:11

my mates dd did this years ago and she called for help and spoke to the poisons unit and they told her it was nothing to worry about and that it may make her bleed a little from down below -she didnt and she was fine .
best to find out though just incase

candyfluff Sat 11-Jul-09 19:09:01

eandh ur girls are gorgeous

eandh Sat 11-Jul-09 19:26:16

candy - thankyou grin they may look beautiful however today they have been moany, overtired (long story involving useless dh when I went out last night) and stroppy therefore were both in bed by 6pm!

tootiredtothink Sat 11-Jul-09 20:30:56

I wouldn't wait for NHS direct to phone back - took them 6 hours to call my friend this week!

Can you get hold of your out of hours doctor and speak to him/her?

NHS direct will automatically tell you to seek extra help anyway as a precaution.

OrangeFish Sat 11-Jul-09 20:45:47

My then puppy (a yorkie) swallowed a full strip of Dianette. When I contacted the vet, he was more worried about the dog eating the pack than the pills. When I confirmed the pack was still in one piece, he said he would be fine, and yes... he was, no problem, or further treatment needed.

I have a BNF at home, if you tell me the name of the pills, I may find out about what the manufacturer suggest to do in the event of an overdose)

procrastinatingparent Sat 11-Jul-09 20:48:16

This happened to a friend whilst looking after another friend's child. The two kids ate 1 and 4 pills respectively and were sick that night 1 and 4 times respectively. When she rang the doctors they told her not to worry and to expect them to throw up - and they did!

Sidge Sat 11-Jul-09 21:00:52

Bayer make Logynon - the online Logynon leaflet says this:

What to do if you take more Logynon than you should

An accidental overdose is unlikely to be harmful but may cause nausea, vomiting and in females, withdrawal bleeding. You should consult your doctor who will be able to tell you what action, if any, is necessary.

I would call the out of hours GP service.

laughalot Sun 12-Jul-09 09:27:28

Thankyou everyone !!

Laughalot jnr - UPDATE

She dident have to go the hospital, I spoke to the out of hours doctor who advised just to keep a eye on her through the night.

She has woken up this morning with 36 dd boobies grin grin. This has given me a good kick up the bum to not go to work and leave my handbag in a 2 year olds reach hmm.

Yesterday was a nightmare as im full of cold as is my ds who is having his 5th birthday party today. I needed to pick up his cake last night and sort last minute bits so the last thing I needed was my dd popping pills.

She is such a angel to look at but boy she is a stroppy little thing grin.

Must say thanks to eandh again for finding me the numbers for out of hours doc, hospital ect. Cant wait to see you in a fortnight mate x

Thanks again folks

TheChilliMooseHasGreenFingers Sun 12-Jul-09 09:31:42

Glad she's ok.

girlsyearapart Sun 12-Jul-09 10:42:02

OrangeFish- just shows how different vets have different opininions! Mine was a Staffie puppy -more robust than a yorkie! and they were really worried about him. He was fine. Strangely they never seemed concerned that he had previously probably worked his way through about ten remote controls, fifty pairs of shoes, a feather pillow and mamy many other things.. Thank god he's a big non chewer now!
OP glad your dd ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now