Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ear ache

(5 Posts)
cheesesarnie Sat 11-Jul-09 16:00:30

dd has had earache since friday morning.its now leaking badly(eurgh) what can i do apart from give calpol?

DLI Sat 11-Jul-09 21:20:16

my ds has just got over the same. take dd to doctors or walk in clinic tomorrow she has an ear infection and the doctor will give her antibiotics to clear it up.

it seems there is an ear infection going around which appears to be contagious, my ds had it, my brother got it and a friend got it all within a week!!!!

bristols Sat 11-Jul-09 21:24:39

You could give Nurofen too.

Antibiotics don't make that much difference to the time it takes to clear up and some doctors might not prescribe them.

It is definitely doing the rounds as my DS has it too. Am just sticking with the pain killers and hoping it passes soon!

How old is your DD?

nickschick Sat 11-Jul-09 21:26:31

I dont know what the truth is behind this but I was told that ear ache can be 'helped' by chewing gum - apparently it moves the eustachian tubes and helps the infection.

PrincessLayer Sat 11-Jul-09 21:46:49

Pick chewing gum with Xylitol in or if you don't like her having gum, get the smints in a blue box, it says xylitol on the box.
(You can also find it as sugar in some health food shops, although I expect that is rather useless advice at 9.45 on a Saturday night! grin)

My 8(today) year old used to get minging ear infections all the time. Not so much lately. I think she's growing out of them. A load of mints and/or gum seemed to stop it getting worse until I could get her to the doctors. (I always insist on antibiotics for her. The one time the pharmacist practitioner refused her she almost ended up in hospital and the proper GP told me to insist on antibiotics next time. They make a difference within an hour to my DD)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now