Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

hip pain in ds,7

(16 Posts)
ohbabygivemeonemorechance Sat 11-Jul-09 10:57:41

ds,7 yrs had a fever a week ago when he was achey in his hip,chest,shoulders.His temp came down the next day but up again in the night for a couple of nights but settled after that.He did not miss school but was borderline for staying off.
Yesterday came back from school trip[very active] with quite severe pain in his left hip,limping.Have rested him and is improved today but not gone.He is sitting/lying on sofa.He has no temp.
WWYD?Shall I phone OOH service or go to A & E or just monitor and rest for today and see how he is tomorrow?
He also has a small node/small lump on the lower,back of his head found last night.

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Sat 11-Jul-09 11:17:13

He has limped to the toilet and back,is improved a bit but sill quite painful to weightbear.

mumtoted Sat 11-Jul-09 11:31:24

How about ring NHS direct? I think A&E if he's in pain or ring the doctors in case they have cover for house calls at the weekend. They should come out for children.
Hopefully its just a virus, The lumps could be swollen lymph glands where the body is fighting an infection?
Hope he keeps improving, please update x

mummyplonk Sat 11-Jul-09 11:32:04

I would say to keep a very close eye on his temperature, hopefully it is nothing, I had exp with ds where temp shot up to 41 and couldnt walk without pain for a week by which time his virus had turned into something really nasty called septic arthritis (it is usually more common in toddlers tho so dont want to scare you) but if he hasnt recognised pulling/straining himself it would definately be best to get a second opinion. The infection that started my DS was called strep A, ususally starts from a very bad throat and can cause lumps around the neck (ds contracted it whilst having his tonsils out in hospital). I hope he feels better soon, NHS direct maybe another route at weekend.

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Sat 11-Jul-09 11:38:56

Thankyou bothsmile
I thought his fever last week would turn into a cold/flu like illness,but it didn't.He did have swollen tonsils but not really like his tonsillitis he had 2/3 mos ago.
He could have jarred it when he tippled off the side of the canoe last week as he was getting in,but odd it coincided with the fever.
Will monitor temp and see if the pain goes this afternoon.
Thanks again

mummyplonk Sat 11-Jul-09 11:57:23

Please let us know how he is, will be thinking of you this avo. I have to mention it was almost 3 months after my sons bad tonsil op to when he ended up in A & E with the severe pain in his hip, but he could not even be lifted out of bed to the sofa without screaming in agony, the first few trips to hospital he was diagnosed as having a severe case of flu as it was all of his limbs hurting originally, then it just located on his hip after a while, this is where the infection took hold. Only by doing a blood test did they identify there was a problem.

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Sat 11-Jul-09 12:08:44

how awful for you and your ds mummyplonk.
I'll keep an eye on himx

lisad123 Sat 11-Jul-09 12:15:13

hope his ok, keep us updated.

mumtoted Sun 12-Jul-09 10:16:39

How is he today?

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Mon 13-Jul-09 08:55:47

sorry no earlier update~ was waiting and seeing
The pain improved over the weekend but as it has not gone,am keeping him off school today and have an appt at 11.50am with the GP
will post later
Thanks smile

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Mon 13-Jul-09 13:58:07

have just returned from GPs~he found some pain when he moved ds's hip joint.

he said to do no sport this week,then if a week today there is any more pain,to have an urgent referral.

that it sounds like irritable hip esp at the weekend

so that seems a fair plan

mumtoted Mon 13-Jul-09 14:37:11

Glad the GP was helpful. You could try giving him some Arnica to see if that helps. Hope it keeps improving.

mummyplonk Mon 13-Jul-09 21:42:33

I am glad the pain is going for your LO, yes, I remember the words "irritable hip" being mentioned a few times at the hospital for DS as this can be a fairly common thing in boys (they thought DS had this at first too), am pleased he has set a dead line of a week for you before acting, sounds like he knows what he is doing (unlike our first doctor unfortunately), it sounds like he will be fine with rest, am so pleased, if the pain does get worse or temp rises, please do not hang around and get on the phone to him. x

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 13-Jul-09 21:46:47

I'd be tempted to take him to A&E, there's a hip problem called Perthes disease which starts in childhood and can get really nasty. It needs checking and maybe an X-ray?

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Mon 13-Jul-09 22:25:52

thankyou allsmile
His leg is now 85% better according to dsgrin
Plan to do his temp this week and no PE at school or after school activities.
will keep an eye on himx

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 13-Jul-09 22:27:13

That's good. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now