Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

trying to ease DD's cough tonight - damp towels in her bedroom any good?

(8 Posts)
mckenzie Fri 10-Jul-09 20:05:37

She has a hideous cough that has been an occasional bark for three days but today must have loosened up as she has been coughing non stop and producing some lovely 'stuff'.

I am right in thinking that damp towels in her room might help or did I dream that one?

TIA

Wheelybug Fri 10-Jul-09 20:09:07

I think only if you have the radiators on.

yogabird Fri 10-Jul-09 20:09:11

perhaps prop up her bed a little? Not sure on the towel thing - sorry

LucyMinter Fri 10-Jul-09 20:11:11

Have you got any Vicks? Maybe a hot shower to create lots of steam, or if she is able to safely, inhaling steam from a bowl of v hot water might help. That'd be while she's awake though obv.

poor thing sad

mckenzie Fri 10-Jul-09 20:38:31

thanks guys.
She's sleeping peacefully at the moment so i've missed the boat on the steamy shower unfortunately. Damp towels on hot radiators sounds familiar wheelybug - thanks. That wont be any good for this weather huh?
Lucyminter - I think of vicks more for colds - is it good for coughs too?
She's on two pillows already yogabird but thanks for the idea.

MrsMcCluskey Fri 10-Jul-09 20:42:05

Boil a kettle in the room, keep reboiling until room full of steam.

saintmaybe Fri 10-Jul-09 20:43:53

I've sat in the room holding the button down on the kettle before; the room fills up with steam, which helps.

Another tip I was given years ago, and helps with all congestion, is to dice an onion and put it by the bed. It does smell a bit rank in the morning, but again it does help dd, who's prone to URT stuff.

mckenzie Fri 10-Jul-09 21:13:56

thanks for the extra tips. I was just about to make myself a cup of tea - guess i'll be making it in DD's room! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now