Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MMr/DTP 'boosters': has anyone undergone NHS/private testing for antibodies???

(14 Posts)
zebramummy Thu 09-Jul-09 21:22:03

just wondering how much you paid and how much blood they take (ds who has just turned 4 can be v squeamish about these kind of things!). we are planning to have it done at Babyjabs in london but they have contracted out the antibody testing so a lot of the info that was on their website has now disappeared. really want stforward advice from the been-there-done-it's. hmm
have read and read up on it and i am not trying to light the touchpaper wink

zebramummy Fri 10-Jul-09 09:31:02

bump???

zebramummy Sun 12-Jul-09 14:51:28

bump

mrsnoname Sun 12-Jul-09 20:54:27

Hi there, we had our DD's immunity test done at babyjabs last year. We initially went in for measles only, they took about one small tube worth of blood, then came home and decided that we might as well have her tested for all three (MMR). Phoned back and asked if we had to go in again, or the amount of blood taken earlier that day would be sufficient, and much to our relief they said they had enough blood there for all three tests! We paid £100 for the MMR. Just checked their website a minute ago and their prices are still the same hmm.

mrsnoname Sun 12-Jul-09 20:59:05

Forgot to mention, the nurses were extra extra nice with her, she even received a sticker and a lovely gift bag for being brave.

zebramummy Mon 13-Jul-09 09:38:04

thanks so much for replying! i was just wondering whether it took a while to find the vein etc. i can still recall the blood tests my ds had as a newborn for jaundice - they just could not seem to find the vein/ get enough blood ; all in all it was pretty traumatic. i expect it would not be so difficult a few years on. did you have the dtp booster test too? thanks

mrsnoname Mon 13-Jul-09 19:58:42

DD was 3 when this was done and I seem to remember them finding the vein pretty much straightaway - they were really professional. I agree, it's not something to look forward to, and having bad memories of a previous experience doesn't help either. But as you said, it must be a far more difficult procedure with a newborn.
I'm sure he'll be fine this time around! As for you... can you take along DP and therefore avoid being in the room during the procedure?
We only had the MMR test done (so far).

Sooty7 Mon 13-Jul-09 22:09:40

Message withdrawn

mrsnoname Tue 14-Jul-09 00:33:14

Yes, we too had the option of putting on some anaesthetic cream first, but opted out as it would have delayed everything by almost about an hour (we were on a tight schedule). They did say, that most children are absolutely fine without it. After all it's just a slight prick.
I find it interesting, however, how they don't offer it when doing routine childhood immunisation. As then, it's not just the prick of the needle, but most of those vaccines do sting as well.

Coincidentally, we too had something done on the NHS that was meant to be costing us £75, but never got the bill for it. And never did complain of course wink.

stressed2007 Tue 14-Jul-09 10:22:25

how do you get the testing done on the NHS? Would like to do this before having the second round done.

Sooty7 Tue 14-Jul-09 14:35:44

Message withdrawn

zebramummy Tue 14-Jul-09 20:39:52

free tests - lucky you! i had a long meeting with a nurse and a doctor on separate occasions and they refused point blank to fund such a test or even carry it out for a fee - I felt quite angry about this as they have the facilities at the surgery and i had good reason to request it and had done my research so to speak.

Sooty7 Tue 14-Jul-09 22:03:42

Message withdrawn

stressed2007 Wed 15-Jul-09 14:07:46

It is all down to money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now