Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Large tonsils in a two year old...

(8 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Thu 09-Jul-09 14:23:52

Message withdrawn

belgo Thu 09-Jul-09 14:25:32

Point it out to your GP the next time you go, but I think it's fairly common. My dd2 aged 3.10 has very large tonsils.

vjg13 Thu 09-Jul-09 14:38:53

I have really big ones!! and so do both my kids. The dentist commented about my 6 year old last week! None of us have had any unusual tonsil problems so I would just forget about it. smile

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 09-Jul-09 14:40:20

Message withdrawn

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Thu 09-Jul-09 14:42:09

It might be worth mentioning to the dr but unless it causes huge problems they won't do much about it this early on.
DS has huge tonsils and adenoids plus glue ear, he snores, he dribbles, he disturbs his own sleep and they have even mention possible sleep apnoea and they are still dithering as to whether to take them out in someone so young (he's 3) but at 2 it wasn't as obvious how bad things were going to be so def worth keeping an eye on.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Thu 09-Jul-09 14:42:48

Going against the grain a little, DS2 has huge tonsils, they join the dangley thing in the back of his throat.
He snores alot.

I took him to the doctor about 6 weeks ago because he sleeps too much.. (wierdo I know!) but she thinks there are a few things that are connected. We have been referred to ent at the hospital and they are thinking of removing his tonsils and potentially his adenoids.

He is underweight and chews food but doesn't swallow much - he spits alot out.

If you are worried get it checked.. the doctor will be able to tell if they are a problem or not.

Elibean Thu 09-Jul-09 14:47:30

I agree - mention to doctor, though if he's showing no problems related (sleep, eating) then its probably a watch-and-wait situation. Good to be aware of though.

My 2.5 yr old dd had hers out in January, along with adenoids, aged just over 2....she had dreadful, gasping sleep apnoea (still snores, but not gasping) and was losing weight. Six months earlier, she snored but didn't gasp and was a good eater - it can change fast, but we knew what the likely problem was when it happened, which helped.

Worst case, the op is over pretty fast and makes a huge difference smile

Likely case, no problem wink

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 09-Jul-09 15:13:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now