Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox in siblings... how soon does one follow the other?

(20 Posts)
GreenPeas Thu 09-Jul-09 13:22:16

I noticed some spots on DS's bottom on Tuesday which have now developed into classic chicken pox blisters and been followed by spots on his chest and neck. He's not at all bothered by them and hasn't had a temperature so I'm hoping it's mild. But... DD hasn't had c pox and we're supposed to be off on holiday in 2 weeks time. Aaagh.

I reckon the chances are she'll get it just before we're due to travel and we won't be able to go but I can't convince DH. He thinks it'll be fine... Hmmm.

princessmel Thu 09-Jul-09 13:24:00

Ds got his first spot 2 weeks later (to the day )after we saw dd's first spot.

That has been the experience of lots of my friends aswell.

geekgirl Thu 09-Jul-09 13:24:27

it was two weeks with mine, sorry The incubation period for CP is 10-20 days apparently.

Maybe dd will just get a mild case too? <here's hoping for you>

belgo Thu 09-Jul-09 13:26:08

Yes aaargh for you .... she could very well develop it just when you are about to go on holiday - let's hope she doesn't.

hana Thu 09-Jul-09 13:37:03

2 weeks to the day here too

GreenPeas Thu 09-Jul-09 13:38:18

Thanks... I had an inkling that 2 weeks was the magic number.

Feck. <reaches for the travel insurance>

GreenPeas Thu 09-Jul-09 13:39:43

And another thing...

How long, generally, from first spot sighting to being non-infectious? Is 5/6 days hopelessly optimistic?

Prosecco Thu 09-Jul-09 13:39:52

Exactly as the others. Sorry.

Prosecco Thu 09-Jul-09 13:41:02

Mine were about 5/6 days.. I also had to visit gp as we were going on holiday too.

nigglewiggle Thu 09-Jul-09 13:41:27

Second one usually gets a more severe dose too. Sorry, not helping....

NorkilyChallenged Thu 09-Jul-09 13:42:52

15 days from first signs in DD1 to first signs in DD2. But both had it relatively mildly and weren't infectious by day 6 or 7 I think (actually DD2 was only 10 months and was probably fine after 5 days).

GreenPeas Thu 09-Jul-09 13:42:59

Yes, nigglewiggle, you are not helping. wink Harumph.

nigglewiggle Thu 09-Jul-09 13:45:46

If it is any consolation DD1 got it and didn't pass it on to DD2, so I can offer some positive news after all smile.

geekgirl Thu 09-Jul-09 13:46:46

well with us the second one got a much milder case if that helps

GreenPeas Thu 09-Jul-09 13:52:25

So, best case = DD doesn't get it (phew) OR DS actually got it Monday without me noticing, DD gets it 13/14 days later (mildly!) and we're okay to fly.

Otherwise, we'll be holidaying at home this year. Lovely.

Thanks all.

decena Thu 09-Jul-09 19:28:16

You will need to check with the airline as different ones have different rules. Some will not let you fly until 14 days from the first spot so even though they are not infectious after scabbing over, it may not be sufficient for the airline. We got caught out by this when one of our kids got cp on holiday. We managed to get a doctor to certify that she was no longer infectious even though though the 14 days was not up, then covered her in concealer and slept her under a blanket coming home!

PandaG Thu 09-Jul-09 19:30:35

I shared a bedroom with my sister, but never caught CP when she had it as a child. GOt it really badly when I was 15 instead.

So, maybe she will not get it smile

snickersnack Fri 10-Jul-09 20:16:11

2 weeks to the day for us as well. But our GP was very happy to write us a "fit to fly" letter for ds when I told her we were due to fly 6 days after the first spot appeared. She said there was no chance of him being infectious more than 5 days after the spots first appearing. As it was, he didn't look too bad, and no-one asked us at any point whether he'd had it.

blackmonday Sun 16-Aug-09 10:36:08

just seen this message. we are in the same boat. Did you get your holiday??

welshdeb Sun 16-Aug-09 21:54:09

I think you should try if possible to assess if you can who it was caught from. If both dc were in contact with the infectious person around the same time then its likely they will come out in in very close togther.

If you think that your second dc hasn't been in contact with the source then its probable that they will catch it from their sibling, who will have been infectious for about a week already. They will come out in it in about 10 days to 2 weeks from now .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now