Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

the mysterious unidentified rash

(5 Posts)
Honneybunny Mon 06-Jul-09 18:00:00

took ds1 and ds2 (5 and 3yo) to gp today, as they both had rash on face. Dh had something similar a couple of weeks ago, but now ds2 has developed as well, followed by on ds1 two days later. It's quite itchy, and spreads over ds2's right cheek from his nose around his eye. He doesn't have it anywhere else. GP gave antibiotic cream, as ds2 has scratched and some of the rash got a bit infected, but according to gp it is most likely to be an allergy (although might be post-viral rash as well).

I thought it was a bit odd, as why on earth would they suddenly one after another develop this allergy.... They are otherwise fine, no temperature, throat/ears/etc fine.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Looking at ds2 i first thought shingles (as rash is so localised), but that should not be contagious (and they've both had chickenpox).

woodlands35 Tue 07-Jul-09 17:48:05

sorry i dont have any advice , hope they are feeling better soon smile

FenellaFudge Tue 07-Jul-09 17:50:49

Does it look like nettle stings and does it flare up and then disappear throughout the day?

FenellaFudge Tue 07-Jul-09 17:58:51

Oh, I see this is from yesterday - well if oyu come back and it happens to be as I described then it's a temporary thing and nothing to worry about. Prob a little allergy and will go in a couple of days.
It's like hives, just more pronounced and almost everyone will have a bout of it at some point in their lives.
You can give piriton if it's bothering dc.

Honneybunny Tue 07-Jul-09 18:20:06

thanks both smile
gp prescibed some antihistamines and an antibiotic cream. they actually do look a bit like nettle stings, but it does not fade during the day. ds2's cheeks are now both covered, although it doesn't look as weepy as it did yesterday. ds1 just has a couple of spots, which is good, as he is notoriously bad at taking any kind of medication (have to force it in, and really hate doing that... sad). will just continue the antihistamines and the cream on ds2 and see in a week if need to go back to gp.
thanks again for the posts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now