Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Braces - can you only have coloured ones if you go privately?

(8 Posts)
bubblesbabe Mon 06-Jul-09 17:47:19

My daughter is having braces fitted this week and qualifies for NHS treatment. The woman at the Orthodontist who explained it all to us said that you can only have the coloured braces if you are a private patient but I know other children who have had coloured ones on the NHS.
Any ideas?

AnyFucker Mon 06-Jul-09 17:50:47

my dd has coloured ones on the NHS

so far she has had pink and purple

Loshad Mon 06-Jul-09 17:52:50

my ds had a variety of coloured ones on the NHS. Yellow just make your teeth look uncleaned imo though wink

AnyFucker Mon 06-Jul-09 17:59:56

yeah, lime green ain't too good either grin

Milliways Mon 06-Jul-09 20:02:56

DD had coloured ones on the NHS but it WAS before the rule changes.

DS is private - but he always chooses silver as he reckons the coloured ones are much more noticeable.

DD had pale pink ones that worked well. A friend had BLACK ones - gruesome!

AnyFucker Mon 06-Jul-09 20:08:08

what rule changes

my dd only got her braces a couple of months

they needed repairing last week and she got a whole new colour

Loshad Mon 06-Jul-09 20:11:32

DS has only just had his taken off, he has had a choice of coloured ones all the way through. He started treatment after the rule changes for eligibility for treatment came in if that is what you are referring to.

tatt Mon 06-Jul-09 20:15:56

you can't get invisible braces on the NHS but our orthodontist didn't recommend them anyway. You get little coloured bits, we could have had them changed every time the baraces were adjusted and they're allowed 2 colours each time. I don't think anything has changed, all their friends have coloured ones. Boys are asked if they want their football team colours grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now