Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

16mo not gaining weight

(3 Posts)
Gem30 Mon 06-Jul-09 10:16:39

My daughter hasn't gained a bean since she turned 1. I feed her little and often, she has lots of high-fat dairy, fruit, veg, red meat etc so I don't really know what else to do. She never really eats much dinner and can be quite stubborn about it. She'll eat finger food quite happily out of her high chair but I'm worried about her choking. She still has 4oz of formula morning and afternoon and I did wonder if she's maybe filling up on that but I dont want to cut it out and make things worse. She's 20lbs/9.10kg

Anyone else had the same thing? Any advice? Do/Did anyone else still give formula at 16 months?

arabicabean Mon 06-Jul-09 14:45:04

No advice really but you did ask if anyone gives formula. I have a 17 month old and give him a Growing Up milk (Hipp Organic). The amount I give him is taken out of his daily three portions of milk/cheese/yoghurt group of foods. I know that most people switch to cow's milk at one year, but the Hipp milk has added nutrients and with faddy toddler eating, I think anything extra helps.

Does your GP have any concerns?

acebaby Mon 06-Jul-09 18:53:29

Try not to worry too much if your DD is otherwise healthy. They often gain weight very very slowly at this age. I had the same worries with DS1 and took him for a check up. He was perfectly healthy but stayed on the small side until he was about 3.6, then shot back up to between 25th and 50th percentile. The two children I know whose small size indicated serious health problems had many other symptoms (poor muscle tone, feeding problems, history of very serious infections) and were very significantly underweight, i.e. way off the chart (6 kg at one).

You may want to talk to the health visitor about your worries about your DD choking and about the formula. Also I would take your DD to the GP for a check up, just for your own peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now