Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Run out of baby calpol, would you give half dose of 6+ calpol?

(7 Posts)
DebInAustria Sat 04-Jul-09 10:47:45

As far as can see 6+ calpol has twice the amount of paracetemol in a 5 ml spoon so could I give my one year old a 2.5 ml spoon quite safely?Opinions please, here in Austria it's not available without prescription and that would mean an out of hours Dr at the weekend. Of course when I was at the Drs yesterday I had convinced myself that I already had some at home. Thanks

weegiemum Sat 04-Jul-09 10:50:41

That should be totally fine. After all, I give my 9 yo more spoonfuls of ordinary calpol to make up the dose, so can't see why you can't cut it down - as long as you measure accurately - a syringe might be better than a spoon, if you have one.

Hope your dc feels better soon.

DebInAustria Sat 04-Jul-09 10:57:17

Thanks Weegie, just reassuring to get a 2nd opinion

theITgirl Sat 04-Jul-09 11:03:14

I asked a pharmacist about this as I have one child over 6 and one child under. He said it was fine

kiddiz Sat 04-Jul-09 11:38:33

I never bought anything but 6+ calpol for mine. Similar price, lasts twice as long and as they got older and I had 2 over six and one under it saved buying two bottles. Plus when ds was in hospital they do exactly this.

oftenpurple Sat 04-Jul-09 11:48:19

Yes, have been told that it's fine.

DebInAustria Sat 04-Jul-09 12:02:05

Thank you everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now