Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Big boils in 7 yr old

(17 Posts)
rupertsabear Fri 03-Jul-09 19:08:34

My ds1 has a big boil on his bottom that's very painful, and another one coming on his knee. How should I treat them and does anyone know why he's got them?? TIA

rupertsabear Fri 03-Jul-09 19:45:12

bump - anyone?

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 19:47:07

hmm I would get to Dr, this heat won't help him

good luck

rupertsabear Fri 03-Jul-09 19:57:47

V. hot and humid here - it probably is making it worse.

Podrick Fri 03-Jul-09 20:00:13

Antibiotics from the doc asap
Bathe in salt water
Is he run down?

Heated Fri 03-Jul-09 20:02:39

Probably will need antibiotics if it is a boil rather than a spot.

You can apply ice wrapped in a cloth to the boil to reduce the swelling - but does need to be quite prolonged contact.

Heated Fri 03-Jul-09 20:04:43

Meant to add without hopefully scaring you they do need treating asap or can scar, leaving a crater.

modrin Fri 03-Jul-09 20:08:41

he will need the docotr as it may turn into an abcess you can buy a great paste from chemist called magesium sulphate which draaws it to head hpe this helps

modrin Fri 03-Jul-09 20:09:47

awful typos sorry magnesium sulphate

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 20:19:41

oh yes magnesium summat paste

(I thought it was oxide but the pharmacist will know what we are on about)

Rupert, does your surgery have appts on a Saturday morning? take him if you can, or have a word with your pharmacist to get him someting to get through the weekend and see Dr on Monday

modrin Fri 03-Jul-09 20:22:17

oh sorry if its not sulphate dont want you to buy some acid like substance yikes!!!

macherie Fri 03-Jul-09 20:45:19

DD had one a couple of years ago. We put on some of magnesium paste to draw it out, then gave her a warm bath. The heat caused it to burst and I was astounded but the amount of gunge that came out, it seemed never ending shock

It healed up completely by itself and she hasn't had one since.

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 20:47:10

rupert, ask for magnesium paste to draw a boil, then we shall be sure that you are getting the right stuff

rupertsabear Fri 03-Jul-09 22:16:37

OK, thanks very much everyone. I will try the mag paste tomorrow and see whether that works without antibiotics. As he has 2, I suspect it might need antibiotics though to stop another one popping up somewhere.

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 22:24:31

smile

I think I applied the paste to my boil, then gauze over the top and micropore to hold in place - the pharmacist will explain

(was in my armpit, nice)

modrin Sat 04-Jul-09 19:01:06

it was magnesium sulphate ..thank goodness

rupertsabear Sat 04-Jul-09 23:59:13

In the end the biggest one has just exploded by itself and seems to be on the way out. I'm putting antibiotic cream on it and hoping it will go with no ill effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now