Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS2 (13 months old) has had temperature of 40,5 degrees for last 48 hours...

(52 Posts)
nybom Thu 02-Jul-09 20:01:29

i've given him calpol 4 times a day, sponged him down with cool water - his temperature has constantly been between 40 and 40,5. he has a slightly snotty nose, no other symptoms. well, and he is all floppy and weak, obviously...

this is not my first child and not the first fever, BUT is the temperature too long/too high...? because: EVERY TIME when i finally get myself to go to the doctors/phone the NHS, the kids are better and/or the advice from the doctors is "give them calpol".

just checking what you would do: should i phone a doctor or wait until tomorrow? could it even be swin flue (or have i just heard to much news reports hmm)? we did go to london and mingled with a lot of people, but then again, maybe it was only the aircon in our hotel room that gave him a cold...

Aranea Thu 02-Jul-09 20:05:54

I would phone a doctor. It can't do any harm.

Have you tried giving him nurofen as well? I've always found that better for bringing down a fever

cloudydaze Thu 02-Jul-09 20:06:59

If it were me I would call the dr tonight as sounds like you can't get his temperature down & you should (I think, purely from experience not medical knowledge) see a drop of some sort once the calpol/nurofen kicks in. That's what I've always found, I've had both mine at some point get to around 41 degrees, it is upsetting. Really think you need to call the dr tonight rather than wait 'til tomorrow.
Hope that he gets better soon

cloudydaze Thu 02-Jul-09 20:07:53

Sorry, meant to add, I always find nurofen works better than calpol for temps. Also you can alternate them, every 4 hrs - though some drs now don't like you doing that though they do still seem to recommend it when the temp is high. How old is your son?

cloudydaze Thu 02-Jul-09 20:08:37

Ignore me, just saw, he's 13 months on your post.

nowwearefour Thu 02-Jul-09 20:10:35

that is really very high. i think you should get the doc to him ASAP. i am not one to worry unduly but that does not sound right to me.

nybom Thu 02-Jul-09 20:13:46

yes, i recall the last time we went to a dr. because of a high fever, he said something about alternating different kind of medicines... we've only got one here at home now though as the other's at nursery.

how low should the medicine bring the temperature down ? i mean, that is all it does anyway, it doesn't cure the illness, why not only use as little as needed (but how much is that hmm)...

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Thu 02-Jul-09 20:14:03

If he has had for a while, paracetamol and tepid baths are not working then get him to the docs or hospital NOW. Better to get him seen to and nothing be wrong then leave it and something go wrong.

Aranea Thu 02-Jul-09 20:16:13

gp told me you should see the temp drop below 38 after nurofen/calpol (but did say definitely try both before concluding you had a problem)

thisisyesterday Thu 02-Jul-09 20:16:15

i would either call a doctor out or tke him to a&e

if the calpol is doing nothing to reduce the temp then he needs to be seen

nowwearefour Thu 02-Jul-09 20:17:41

yes go now and we hope ou are back soon telling us all is fine

cloudydaze Thu 02-Jul-09 20:17:45

The medicine doesn't cure the illness but it should bring his temperature down & for that reason you should administer the recommended quantity. If you can get some nurofen you should try alternating them. I really have always found nurofen works much better than calpol to reduce the temperature.

Meglet Thu 02-Jul-09 20:27:21

Definatley get the out of hours gp to visit you or get to them (ours have a clinic at the hospital, you just have to call before you go) or a+e. He's too young to be messing around.

nellie12 Thu 02-Jul-09 20:31:41

A and e because max dose of calpol isnt working and he may be dehydrated with having fever for 48hrs

Jumente Thu 02-Jul-09 20:32:39

Go now, please.

We can't help you. Just ring them and take him in.

Jumente Thu 02-Jul-09 20:33:43

It ought to be coming down in between doses. Staying up there is NOT normal and NOT something you ought to leave.

Please just do it. There's nothing to lose.

nellie12 Thu 02-Jul-09 20:34:10

Should have added that a floppy baby is an ill baby who is not likely to be drinking well

Jumente Thu 02-Jul-09 20:40:06

<hopes OP has taken the hint and is on the phone to GP>

seriously these threads kill me. it's so horrid knowing there's a really sick child out there, and not being personally able to do anything about it - mind you I am often the same when mine are ill, never sure whether it's important enough to phone someone.

I think we all have done it at some point!

Ohforfoxsake Thu 02-Jul-09 20:45:28

Phone the doctor,and try nurofen first off. Then think about taking him to A&E (yes it will be horrible, and yes, you will feel like a neurotic mother - but hey)

My LO had a high temp for 48 hours, turned out to be a urine infection and we spent 5 days in hospital having IV antibiotics, so if it were me (and believe me, I won't let that happen again!) I'd be straight down there. We were lucky, there was no kidney damage, but there could have been and the scans to check for that were pretty horrid too.

Sorry, I want to warn you, not scare you. She is my 4th and I got it wrong. sad

nybom Thu 02-Jul-09 20:56:37

ok. i have given him some more calpol, and i will wait until 10 pm. if the temperature is still above 40,0 (it was 40,4 when i last checked) i will ring NHS helpline, promise! DS is not dehydrated as he still has wet nappies (even if only a little wet)... he has gone back to exclusively BF. i will keep you updated. thank you for your concern and advice smile

kmowell Thu 02-Jul-09 21:24:44

Don't wait til 10, if not worked in last 24 hrs would be wanting to speak to someone, if you gave it half an hour ago should have worked,if its going to, by now.I nurse adults and if they had a raised temp that high for half that length of time i would be NHS 24.

ilovesprouts Thu 02-Jul-09 21:28:22

just seen your post have u rang nhs direct yet ,hope he is ok

LadyOfWaffle Thu 02-Jul-09 21:32:25

def. NHS D or A &E, was told if my DSs temp didn't come down within 12-24h go straight back to A & E.

aristocat Thu 02-Jul-09 21:43:47

just seen your post, i would definitely contact a&e / nhs direct.
you need to see the doctor if calpol isnt reducing temperature.
hope LO is ok.

nellie12 Thu 02-Jul-09 21:49:01

Sorry but a little wet is dehydrated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: