Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4yr old with chicken pox in this heat!!

(10 Posts)
bambinox2 Thu 02-Jul-09 08:09:34

My 4yr old dd has just got up and is covered in blistering spots. Itching her like mad already but the advice is to not go out! Have a 19m ds as well so its going to be a fun few days! If I can't go out to buy camomine lotion then what am i supposed to do?

ChopsTheDuck Thu 02-Jul-09 08:13:18

Poor little girl! Can nobody get it for you?

I'd run her a nice cool bath and let her sit and splash in there for a whole.

Buda Thu 02-Jul-09 08:42:51

Cool baths. With baking soda in if you have it. Do you have any Piriton or any other suitable antihistamine? That will help with the itching.

We didn't find calamine lotion much use to be honest. Eurax cream was recommended by one friend and I also used something called Pox Clin which was good.

Schulte Thu 02-Jul-09 08:50:04

Oh dear, poor you, dd1 just had it and it's no fun. Hope she doesn't get a temperature with it in this heat! Can you get a neighbour to go to the pharmacy for you? Or order from an online pharmacy? TBH if you HAVE to go out then I would, but drive to the pharmacy if you can and maybe leave dd in the car while you pop in?

hazeyjane Thu 02-Jul-09 08:56:18

Can you get a Tesco delivery (they do same day), or a friend to drop some bits round.

I found bicarb of soda was good. Also porridge oats in a sock, or piece of muslin, squeezed into a bath and the squeezed over skin very good for itching. I found Piriton didn't make much difference to itching, but Medised made them feel better (pre Medised age change!)

It was like this when dd's had cp last year and they sat in a paddling pool for most of the day!

Good luck

Aniyan Thu 02-Jul-09 09:19:50

I can second the porridge oats suggestion - worked a treat for DS.

Also, when the spots are healing, a bit of salt in the bath water helps the process along.

My older brother got chicken pox in the summer of '76 (? the summer that was incredibly hot anyway) and pretty much lived in the bath for the duration.

Hope your DD's feeling better soon.

bambinox2 Thu 02-Jul-09 09:39:34

Thanks guys! She is coping ok at the mo but in doors with fan and all windows open. should imagine as day goes on she will get uncomfortable. School said not to go back til spots have all dried and scabbed over. Hopefully before next fri as it is her school trip and she will be devestated if she can't go! My friend has just brought some calamine lotion around and I have given some piriton but I will be trying other remedies as well. Poor little thing. All this gorgeous weather and we are stuck in doors. Nhs says not to go out in the sun!

gladbag Thu 02-Jul-09 09:39:57

I would heartily agree with the bath/paddling pool idea. Ds had fairly severe chicken pox and twice a day we put him in the bath filled with luke warm water, sock of porridge oats under the tap and bicarb of soda in the water. It was the most comfortable place for him to be - played for ages. Went a bit wrinkly, but not so itchy! I'd second medised as well.

Your poor ds. Hope he's over the worst soon.

gladbag Thu 02-Jul-09 09:40:24

poor dd, not ds - sorry!

bambinox2 Thu 02-Jul-09 09:50:30

your not allowed to get medised for under 7's now! oh well just have to ride it out as I am sure ds will get it too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now