Ds has had a temperature since the early hours of yesterday morning. It's going up and down with calpol alternated with neurofen. He is eating a bit (ate a roll at lunch time but no breakfast) he doesn't have any symptoms apart from the very occasional dry cough and the temp. The only thing he has complained about was his arm hurting this morning and his leg this afternoon (seems to have forgotten about it now though!).
How long do I let this go on before I take him to the doctor? I'd be happier (iykwim) if he had gunk coming out of his ear or a stinking cold but it's just the temp which is a bit weird! At the moment it's 38.3 (an hour after calpol) - shall I give neurofen again? He does look rough poor chap.
Oh and he's not a pfb I'm just being crappy and indecisive today!
My 4 y-o came down with a temp on sunday night. I thought it was just the heat. Monday it was worse - by monday night it was almost 40 and wouldn't come down with meds. No other symptoms.
In the end we were advised to take her to a&e as we had no out of hours gp service. It turned out (after waiting for 3 hours) that she had a throat infection. Temp has only come down to normal today and then is still going up a bit without medication.
It's weird because he keeps saying he is tired but he can't sleep, he's just lolling about on the sofa He won't have had the temp for 48 hours until early tomorrow morning. He does keep sort of huffing when he's breathing as if he's holding his breath then breath out.
His was almost 40 yesterday, hasn't been so bad today but then I've been keeping him dosed up all day. He can't have neurofen again yet though and his temp is 38.7 now (oh shite) I have an ear thermometer and it's 37.7 in one ear and 38.7 in the other, stupid thing. What's the rule when you use an ordinary thermometer under their armpits, I need to check what is going on.
OK I am a mad obsessive but I hate the inaccuracy of the ear thermometer so I've just taken it with a V. accurate digital thermometer under his arm (and then added a degree - just checked that) and his temp is 39.3.
I've given him neurofen now. Poor little thing. I've also cunningly disguised some weak squash in a fruit shoot bottle, seems to be working a bit.
I ended up taking him this evening and guess what...it's JUST A VIRUS! He was much better when we got back (and while we were there obviously ) I'll be keeping a close eye on him though if it continues over the next few days I'll take him back but hopefully he's over the worst, thanks for asking