Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is P20 sunscreen ok to use on toddlers and babies?

(10 Posts)
Meglet Wed 01-Jul-09 14:34:08

Anyone know if there is any reason I shouldn't use the P20 sunscreen on my 2.7 yo and 10mo old? I used it when I was in Florida, applied just in the morning and on a beach all day in the gulf of mexico and a didn't even tan let alone burn. I'm fed up with the white creamy suncream that just makes a mess and wears off and would rather put P20 on them in the morning so they are protected all day.

MaryBS Wed 01-Jul-09 17:31:56

Its not a high enough SPF for them.

ImOverHere Wed 01-Jul-09 18:35:07

Most of the kids ones I've seen are for at least SPF 30. We use SPF 50 just to be sure.

hotbot Wed 01-Jul-09 19:42:24

i used it with dd, 2.5 she didnt burn - but, she had a sunsuit thnggy, flapped hat and big beac parasol and was indoors at the height of the sunshine..... precious moi?

MaryBS Wed 01-Jul-09 19:53:50

I've always used the Piz Buin once a day SPF 30, and mine have tanned, but have been protected all day.

debbiewebweb Wed 01-Jul-09 21:27:11

I've finally succumbed and started using it dd's age 7 and 3. They have both been school / pre-school / playing out / in the paddling pool all week and not burnt or tanned at all. It's been a godsend after dd1 burnt at school as she got so sweaty in p.e. that the factor 40 I had put on her in the morning wore off. My dh has always sworn by this as he's very fair and as the kids have gone throufgh a really hot week without burning I sticking with it.

morocco Sat 04-Jul-09 23:21:48

it doesn't have uva protection so it's no good for long term skin damage aka skin cancer
have you tried the other all day ones like boots own 'once'?

flibertygibet Tue 07-Jul-09 22:03:59

Best one I've found is called 'Toddler Milk' by an Australian company called Sunsense. Available in the UK. It's Factor 50, thin and my ds has never burnt with it on.

MarmadukeScarlet Tue 07-Jul-09 22:13:20

I wouldn't, I used it on my 9 yr old in greece this year when we ran out of our usual one - Ultrasun (a good all day one) - with floppy hats, rash vest/sun suit and staying in between 11-3pm.

I used it on myself, but wouldn't put it on my face or DDs. The chemical smell is horrid and eyewatering.

UniS Thu 09-Jul-09 21:26:56

best still cover up with long sleeves and a hat as well.
I do use only spf 30 or lower on my 3 yr old as he doesn't seem to sweat through high SPFs and gets very hot, red and unhappy. This summer we are going for long sleeves,long shorts and broad brimmed hat & factor 30 ( or 20 or 15) on his legs, hands and face .
seems to be working for him, he prefers long sleeves to sun screen, ditto hat, so he keeps them on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now