Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

please could I have some advice on circumsision....

(14 Posts)
GhostOfPsychomum5 Wed 01-Jul-09 12:29:03

....DS2 has been referred to a paediatric surgeon for assessment.

his foreskin is very tight, he is anable to wee straight and if he tries (ie, by holding his willy), he says it hurts, plus it balloons slightly.........I am expecting them to agree with the need for circumsision, yes??

he is almosy 7yo tho, and will be 7 once he has the first appointment (it is at the end of the month<<quiver>>.

soooo

how can I explain things to him regarding the first appointment. He got quite upset when I took him to the GP, but with encouragement let her look so that she could agree (or not) with me.......she did obviously.

problem is that as much as DS2 complains about the hurting when he wee's, he is fretting now about having to show another doctor his willy, and I haven;t even begun to tell him what might be the outcome if the paed agrees.........am quite scared myself.

DH is no help either, hiding his head in the sand I think.

also, if you have a son who has been circumsised at about 7yrs old, how is it, and how long is the recovery, and does if leave them with willy issues??

sorry, am very naive about it all.........I actually don;t know anyone in RL well enough to ask them if they have been circumsised, (not really dinner conversations is itwink), and not one of my friends have been thru this with any of their sons!

Furball Wed 01-Jul-09 12:35:41

ballooning is completely normal and it occurs as the foreskin seperates from the glans (it is attached at birth)

hang on and i'll find you a web site that explains all and gives info on how your ds can help the process smile

Furball Wed 01-Jul-09 12:36:37

good info here

GhostOfPsychomum5 Wed 01-Jul-09 12:38:06

DS1 never balloned tho, and the GP said it wasn;t normal.

GhostOfPsychomum5 Wed 01-Jul-09 12:40:26

ahhh.....ok, that contain info I didn;t know, now was told to me by the GP.

might not have to be certian then.....<<phew>>

thankyou for the link

akhems Wed 01-Jul-09 12:43:10

my dp was done at the age of 7 too for similar reasons and he remembers it was a bit sore but he was right as rain within a couple of days

Furball Wed 01-Jul-09 12:46:53

Every boys doesn't balloon, but if it does, it will only occur until the skin has seperated. The ballooning will help the process.

GhostOfPsychomum5 Wed 01-Jul-09 12:48:03

ah, thats is helpful knowing that an adult hasn;t got long-term issues with it..thankyou akhems

GhostOfPsychomum5 Wed 01-Jul-09 12:50:53

actually, thinking about it, altho the ballooning might well be helping with the separating of the foreskin from the glans, it isn;t helping stretch the hole out of which the wee comes.............that is the bit that is tight, and it is slightly on the top of DS's willy, making his wee go straight up....hence why he needs to hold it to aim straight.

potoftea Wed 01-Jul-09 12:55:26

My ds had it done about aged 5 and was only sore for about a week. Also he was totally uninhibited and wanted to show it to everyone.

My friend's son was done about aged 13 and was really sore for weeks, don't know if it was because he was older though.

It's probably a good idea for your ds to get used to doctors and the embarassment we all feel showing them "our bits", and realise its all in a day's work to a doctor. He probably will get over that quickly enough.

Bumblelion Wed 01-Jul-09 12:57:42

My son had ballinitis (if I recall correctly) and had to be circumcised at age 9. He was sore for about 2 days, slight bleeding around the wound, but now everything is fine. He used to have so many infections and now he is really clear (now 12).

GhostOfPsychomum5 Wed 01-Jul-09 13:02:35

potoftea, tis quite strange TBH.....he loves being naked at home, and show no inhibitions when DD1 has friends round (and at 15, they don;t want to see naked 6yr old boys running around do theywink).

I think it is probably that he knows it isn;t quite right (especially as he is so different to his brother and dad.....it is quite obvious to him) and is so maybe ashamed, scared of being laughed at......not sure of his reasons as he won;t say.

GhostOfPsychomum5 Wed 01-Jul-09 13:04:06

oh, and if it is done, is t done as a 'day case', or will he need to stay in hospital overnight??

Bubbaloo Wed 01-Jul-09 13:51:26

My ds1 was due to have his op today,but I've had to postpone it til the end of July.
He needs to be in at 7am and all being well,will be home in the afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now