Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

NORMAL TEMP WHEN TAKEN UNDER ARM ?

(4 Posts)
littleoldme Mon 29-Jun-09 18:23:22

I've got a digital thermometer but can't find the info that went with it. DS feeling V hot tem reads 36.8

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 29-Jun-09 18:27:17

Is he hot and sweaty (heat hot) or fever hot? IIRC, they are about 1 degree out. If you feel his tummy this should tell you, if it's sweaty it's because of the heat, if it's hot then he has a fever. I'm fairly certain someone will argue over this though. Check his breathing rate aswell, a fever will make him breathe faster and his heart beat faster, the hot weather won't do the same.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 18:54:10

Is he poorly? The under arm thermometers are not greatly accurate and tend to under read.
I know what you mean fluffy bunny, there is definately a difference between sweaty hot and temp hot. Although the heat will increase a fever too.

A doctor said to me once that if a child feels hot, that is because they are, they have a fever.

I use a digital ear thermometer, they are the most accuate. Its that or sticking one up the bottom i think.

If you cant lay your hands on another thermometer, go with your instinct. Treat him as if he has a fever. Calpol/calprofen. Cool clothes, etc. If worried, call doctor.

littleoldme Mon 29-Jun-09 22:02:51

Many thanks everyone. He was very hot and not sweaty. I gave him some Calpol, he dranks a whole cup of juice and went back to sleep.

I'm pretty sure it's his teeth. He's 18 months and just cutting his first molar. I think they might all becoming at once.

Thanks again for the advice. I think I'm going to buy and ear thermometer tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now