Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Are nose bleeds common in this heat for a 4yr old?

(7 Posts)
mishymoo Mon 29-Jun-09 15:31:02

My DS has had 2 nose bleeds since about 12:30pm today. One just as I was collecting him from nursery and another about 45 minutes ago. The staff at the nursery did say that nose bleeds can happen if it is very hot and humid - is that right?

This is the first time that this has happened to my DS.

Any advice would be great!

GhostOfPsychomum5 Mon 29-Jun-09 15:45:18

my DD2 suffered a LOT from nosebleeds in the heat.......hayfever set her off.

she started them when tiny (about 2yrs old IIRC) and got really bad when she was 7 so had to be cauterised. She then had to be re-cauterised at 9 and 10, and since then she has been nose-bleed free.

seems to run in our family tho, as both MIL and DH suffer really badly when there is high weather pressure.

mishymoo Mon 29-Jun-09 15:51:34

Thanks Psychomum - it's just odd that this is the first time it has happened to him and he'll be 4 next week!

I'm not sure whether a trip to the doctors is in order or whether I should wait and see if it continues through the week especially as we are in for a heat wave!

GhostOfPsychomum5 Mon 29-Jun-09 16:03:04

if they keep recurring, are heavy, don;t stop within 10mins (and I mean heavy flow for 10mins, rather than slowed-down-to-almost-nothing-but-still-there at 10 mins IYGWIM) then I would say it is just the extreme heat and not too much to worry about.

I am no medic tho, just repeating what MY GP said to me way back when DD2 started getting them.

the only reason DD2 ended up being cauterised is that through every may, june and july she was having them several times a day and ruining clothing and work when at school...obviously not ideal.

GhostOfPsychomum5 Mon 29-Jun-09 16:04:52

if you are worried tho, then do take him. it is more than likely to be the heat, but if you feel that there is something up then don;t hesitate.

hoping it settles for him and you

mishymoo Mon 29-Jun-09 16:08:22

Thanks for advice! I think I will see how he goes this week and take it from there! I guess the worrying has something to do with PFB syndrome grin

GhostOfPsychomum5 Mon 29-Jun-09 16:11:35

nah, tis to do with being a mum

I get worried even now, and I have five of the monsters and the eldest is 15. still learning this end, only more to do with teens now rather then pre-schoolers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now