Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Taking dd to doctor with sore knee

(6 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 10:30:46

dd has been complaining on and off that her knee hurts for ages. Shes very active and I've been hoping it will just go away. Had a word with her teacher today who said that its really limiting what she can do in pe and dd is getting upset with not being able to run without pulling up from the pain.

After hearing that I feel like a bad Mum, for not having paid more attention to her. So we have an appt this afternoon. Hope dr doesn't tell her not to do activities - shes got a big horseriding comp at the weekend and she lives for her riding.

Milliways Mon 29-Jun-09 16:21:21

How did it go? Hope everything is OK.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 18:08:20

thanks for asking

Gp thinks she has chondromalacia (damage to the patella cartilage) dd is really active and quite hypermobile. Shes got exercises to strengthen around her knee. Shes not to do running for a while or any sports that aggravate it. (should have seen dds face when the dr said she might have to take a break from riding) Take ibuprofen if necc and if it doesnt clear up over the summer then she may be referred for physio.

I def feel oops cos I thought it was just growing pains blush

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 20:06:09

We've realised that this really buggers up our hiking holiday in 3 weeks time.

Wallace Mon 29-Jun-09 20:22:13

Oh dear, poor dd

I think you will have to do one of those holiday swap things - find a family who usually lie on the beach for a week to go on your hiking holiday, and you can have their relaxing holiday.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 20:50:53

lol at the thought. Have started a thread in travel asking for help as I'm at a loss now.

I really really really hope dd doesn't have to hold back on her riding. GP says she probably wouldnt do any great damage but she wasn't sure what sort of strain it put on the knees and if it hurts she shouldnt do it. Whats the betting dd won't tell me if it hurts. Will have to have a chat with her instructor to ask for knee friendly lessons hmm

Poor dd indeed. She does really like her sports.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now