Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

is it possible to get entries on notes deleted?

(13 Posts)
ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 27-Jun-09 09:48:55

DD had to be seen in A & E, and there was a huge misunderstanding with the A & E doc, put very very diplomatically. The A & E consultant has apologized that the incident happened, but it's in my notes and DD's notes, all of it is wrong. My GP has corrected it, as has DD's Paediatrician, but is it possible to get the report deleted?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 27-Jun-09 09:49:55

No, it's been corrected and frankly no-one reads the whole thing once they are beyond 2 in any case.

May I ask what the mistake was?

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 27-Jun-09 10:04:36

It's actually about DS -- not sure why I put DD hmm Letters close on keyboard?

DS is under the care of a Paediatrican who has followed his care as an in patient and out patient. Really good guy. He emails me about test results and if I'm concerned, I email him and set up an appointment. Tests are still on going, but DS was severely anaemic, lactose/cow milk protein intolerant which is being treated.

About a month ago, DS swallowed a 5p piece shock. Took him to A & E and they confirmed it wasn't stuck in throat, but in tummy, would pass, but if after a month or so, bring him back which is what I did.

A & E doc wants to investigate DS failure to thrive and wants to do various tests. I tell her that he is under the care of consultant at same hospital, please call him, in meantime am not happy for more invasive tests, and really just here to see about the 5p piece.

She doesn't call Paed. I don't know why.

Next day, GP calls me and says, 'want to give you the heads up. A & E doc called saying you were acting agitated, and whether there were any mental health issues suggesting that DS failure to thrive is based on hysteria...' hmm

Saw consultant Paediatrician yesterday and he was appalled, mainly that he wasn't called as he would have come to A & E and sorted it. He went and saw the A & E consultant who said she was sorry the whole episode happened and would be writing to GP.

So, this is in my notes -- that an A & E doc felt I was acting weird and refusing my child treatment. angry

I work with children, and there are some jobs where they ask to see one's notes.

Wow -- sorry this is so long. blush

whomovedmychocolate Sat 27-Jun-09 10:23:24

Blimey, that's bad! I would make a complaint to the hospital and have it written on the notes by the director of children's services that the doctor was mistaken and that the entry was erroneous in that case! angry

We all feel agitated when our child is in need of medical treatment FFS! DS is anaemic and was in hospital for five days, I dread to think what they thought of me, I was amazingly calm for the first day when he'd fitted, then dissolved completed when he had to have a blood test hmm

mears Sat 27-Jun-09 10:28:43

I would have thought that the A£E doc would have made an additional note to correct the initial suspicion and he would also have a copy of the letter sent to the GP. You can write to confirm.

thumbwitch Sat 27-Jun-09 10:34:19

Oh that is shocking - you are entitled to see your notes under the Data Protection Act so you can check what has been done about it and then perhaps your consultant paed can make sure the entry is annotated.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 27-Jun-09 12:01:44

Have been thinking about this, obviously.

Wanted to run this by y'all.

Have spoken with H/V, who I actually really like despite arguing with her for past 3 years solid smile and both her and the GP are backing me on this. I am thinking that I would like to meet with the A & E consultant and talk to her face to face about the incident. Ask her from her viewpoint, what I should have done when I asked for DS Paediatrician to be called and he wasn't, and how in future I can avoid a situation like this happening again on the basis that DS has been admitted 5 times shock shock this year alone and will probably need to use A & E again in next 17 years. grin

Does this sound like a good idea, or bad idea? The H/V said she would be happy to arrange, and come with me if I want.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 27-Jun-09 12:11:05

Message withdrawn

thumbwitch Sat 27-Jun-09 12:13:44

good idea. Well thought of.
You should definitely have another person there, the HV is a good idea, maybe your paed consultant would be able to sit in as well?

mears Sun 28-Jun-09 16:02:32

This is a good.

I actually did this after one of my father's admissions to hospital via and A&E where is treatment was terrible. He has Alzheimers and it was agreed that his electronic notes would be flagged to that staff knew immediately of his Alzheimers adn that it was not appropriate to hook him up up BP machine continually which he found distressind, and also that a family member would be with him at all times. I found the meeting very positive and productive.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 28-Jun-09 17:15:10

That's really helpful Mears. Guess what I'm concerned about is that it will end up getting confrontational, with the consultant feeling as if she needs to back up her junior. Are these sorts of meetings run of the mill or is it unusual?

mears Tue 30-Jun-09 17:38:37

They are not run of the mill but you do find that where there are meetings with patients and their families, the medical staff are open and usually apologetic. The NHS advice is to he helpful and open and not confrontational. Apology is usually the focus.

mears Tue 30-Jun-09 17:39:16

Actually, they may be mmore common than we think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now