Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Coldsores (oweeeee!) - how ... if at all.... do you treat them?

(6 Posts)
booboobeedoo Fri 26-Jun-09 22:23:01

...little 20month DS gets coldsores in the corner of his mouth every couple of months. They seem to last a very long time - just wondering if anyone has any great tips on how to treat / manage? thanks...

Tortoise Fri 26-Jun-09 22:25:19

I use Blistex (or is it called Blisteze now? hmm)
Much cheaper than other treatments. And i would think it would be ok on a little one more than other treatments.

pickyvic Fri 26-Jun-09 23:03:57

my DD had the same at the corners of her mouth and it was a vitamin deficiency. try giving him vitamin drops. worked with my DD.

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 27-Jun-09 16:55:46

Please go to the docs and get some cream for him. I have some not very nice scars on my chin from having coldsores as a baby and picking them.
I would guess they last partly due to the cracking. I have found this happens when they dry out. The cream can help keep them moist.

smartiejake Sat 27-Jun-09 17:05:51

The very best treatment I have found is Fenestil (which has pencyclovir rather than acyclovir which does nothing for me.)but have you thought about buying a cold sore machine?

look here I think you can get them in Boots and I had heard that the NHS were giving them on prescription too.

I suffer with cold sore after cold sore and have I have had one of these for a while now and they are great. I felt a cold sore coming on Monday, started using the cold sore machine and it never even emerged.

booboobeedoo Mon 29-Jun-09 13:41:46

thanks for the tips + advice everyone! Will give all suggestions a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now