Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Coldsores (oweeeee!) - how ... if at all.... do you treat them?

(6 Posts)
booboobeedoo Fri 26-Jun-09 22:23:01

...little 20month DS gets coldsores in the corner of his mouth every couple of months. They seem to last a very long time - just wondering if anyone has any great tips on how to treat / manage? thanks...

Tortoise Fri 26-Jun-09 22:25:19

I use Blistex (or is it called Blisteze now? hmm)
Much cheaper than other treatments. And i would think it would be ok on a little one more than other treatments.

pickyvic Fri 26-Jun-09 23:03:57

my DD had the same at the corners of her mouth and it was a vitamin deficiency. try giving him vitamin drops. worked with my DD.

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 27-Jun-09 16:55:46

Please go to the docs and get some cream for him. I have some not very nice scars on my chin from having coldsores as a baby and picking them.
I would guess they last partly due to the cracking. I have found this happens when they dry out. The cream can help keep them moist.

smartiejake Sat 27-Jun-09 17:05:51

The very best treatment I have found is Fenestil (which has pencyclovir rather than acyclovir which does nothing for me.)but have you thought about buying a cold sore machine?

look here I think you can get them in Boots and I had heard that the NHS were giving them on prescription too.

I suffer with cold sore after cold sore and have I have had one of these for a while now and they are great. I felt a cold sore coming on Monday, started using the cold sore machine and it never even emerged.

booboobeedoo Mon 29-Jun-09 13:41:46

thanks for the tips + advice everyone! Will give all suggestions a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now