Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Glue ear and slightly disgusting wax question

(9 Posts)
used2bthin Fri 26-Jun-09 20:01:47

DD has got glue ear and has been pulling her ears a lot recently. Today she was slightly hot and bothered but ok I think, lots of ear pulling though. Anyway a large lump of wax has just come out of her ear. I've only ever seen her with a runny discharge from her ears if she has an infection so I'm not sure if solid wax is normal? Related to her glue ear and ear pulling or just something they all get?

used2bthin Fri 26-Jun-09 20:46:48

bump

gothicmama Fri 26-Jun-09 20:53:08

probably something they all get. DD has glue ear and has alot of wax, hot weather always seems to make it easier to remove

used2bthin Fri 26-Jun-09 20:58:59

Ah that may be it then gothicmama thanks. I've never seen any come out before but she is always pulling at them. She heard a really quiet sound today so I ot a bit excited that she could hear and wondered if the wax was the glue ear clearing blush

gothicmama Fri 26-Jun-09 22:11:04

ime it does not clear but sometimes hearing improves it is fab when it happens

used2bthin Fri 26-Jun-09 22:45:18

Hope it is improving I've been feeling a bit desperate about how delayed she is speech wise. We've got an appointment in a month to check if the glue ear is still there though as I think it can go over the summer months? Mind you I am not sure what I am hoping for because if it is clear as it was last summer it could easily come back if/when the ear infections start in the winter and then it will just prolong the wat for help with it all.

used2bthin Fri 26-Jun-09 22:57:59

Also when children have glue ear does it itch or hurt or feel weird? She is constantly pulling at her ears on the days when she is irritable and I never know if she is irritable because her ears feel funny or if pulling at her ears is a thing she does when tired or annoyed!

Millarkie Fri 26-Jun-09 23:04:53

The wax is the other side of the eardrum to the 'glue' so they are not linked. Hot weather/temperatures seem to make my kids have lumps of wax fall out - I think it just slides out easier warm (eugh - disgusting I know).
Glue ear can get better in the summer (one of ds's consultants recommended we move to Spain rather than give him grommets - we did the grommets).
Pulling at ears I would guess would be more a sign of ear infection (which a lot of kids with glue ear are prone to anyway).
Hope whatever it is, she's feeling better soon. Our ds didn't really talk until he had his grommets op at age 3.. and even then I think it was because they sucked the gunk out when they put the grommets in because he went deaf again 3 months later

used2bthin Fri 26-Jun-09 23:21:06

Thanks Millarkie. She hasn't been sleeping well but I'd put it down to the heat and having been on holiday/upset routine. Hope it isn't an infection but will keep an eye on it as she has had a few. Sorry to hear about the grommets op not working long term for your DS. Can he hear now? My mum just said why can't the doctors get the wax out? And I thought I don't know actually? They do wit adults don't they? Maybe it would be too much of a risk for infection?

So the wax isn't related to the glue ear, thats a shame, thought it would be a bit too good to be true! I think I'd rather move to Spain btw anyway, not exactly the practical solution though, doctors eh? grin I've been told DDs psoriasis would improve if we lived b the sea so I definately think we should be getting regular holidays abroad at the seaside on the nhs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now