Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

any words of advice?? Waiting for GP to call, ds1 going downhill after chicken pox

(11 Posts)
mad4myboys Fri 26-Jun-09 09:30:27

ds1 has had CP VERY badly yesterday started to scab and was loads better. Had bad night with him, this am he looks sunburn, very hot to touch and temp of 39. I rang GP and supposed to be calling me at SOME point, havbe stripped him, got paracetamol etc, hes very crabby but nibbling on cereal so cant be that bad but wondering if this could be something else wrong? Any experiences? The rash is itching him depsite anti his etc

Cloudspotter Fri 26-Jun-09 11:07:41

I just wanted to add support, unfortunately have no medical knowledge (but do have a dd with cpox at the moment). Apparently in a small minority of cases it can be more serious, and so I would be tempted to run him into the doctors or hospital to be on the safe side.

Hoping that this is probably what you have already done. Good luck. x

Pinkjenny Fri 26-Jun-09 11:09:57

mad4myboys - Dd was like this for three days, four days after onset of CP. She was like a little radiator and temp hovered around the 40 mark. I took her to A&E I was so worried, but she was fine. It was a good ten days of her being really, really unwell though.

Pinkjenny Fri 26-Jun-09 11:10:39

And the doctor told me that although she had started to scab, her body was still full of virus.

mad4myboys Fri 26-Jun-09 19:41:45

thanks. ended up in hosp after the gp's. his temp was almost 40 and wouldnt go down so kept us there. It is down abit now and has anti his etc but this strange rash that looked like sunburn is starting to blister. He cant stop scratching, worse than the CP/ Im dreading tonight

BCNS Fri 26-Jun-09 19:48:59

for your ds1 and you.

dd went like this too , it's horrid.

mad4myboys Fri 26-Jun-09 21:30:44

he now has a cough. Have covered him in calamine, just been up again, will it last long?? I dont suppose theres anything i can do to prevent 7 month ds2 getting it this bad??

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 26-Jun-09 21:34:31

Eurax cream or lotion is SO much better than calamine lotion for dealing with itch. Lasts up to 10 hours too.

Musukebba Fri 26-Jun-09 22:22:46

Did he get any antibiotics from hosp?

Musukebba Fri 26-Jun-09 22:30:56

Bit worried about this after seeing your other thread where macular rash is described. Sounds rather like scalded skin syndrome; sometimes post-viral staphylococcal infection and should definitely have antibiotic treatment.

I think you should ring NHS direct or some other local emergency service right away and give them the full history.

mad4myboys Sun 28-Jun-09 21:48:02

sorry, saturday his temp was up and down and was reaching 39.5. The rash then over last night has turned sort of bitty, like small spots and they have little white heads on them? Very red and very itchy. Bad night last night, this am no temp but rang the hosp to ask about the rash as it had changed and if it could be infected, went there and the doc said it was a heat rash hmm and the white heads were something to do with the foillicoles or something. She said to stop giving anti his and that the chicken pox still hasnt gone and that he just has a rash on top of it. She said see how he goes over next few days.... not sure what to think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now