Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! Think DS might have swallowed a plum stone!

(11 Posts)
wastingmyeducation Thu 25-Jun-09 19:24:49

I gave DS (13 months) a plum while I finished cooking and when I came back he'd finished it. shock

He was chuntering and I fished the skin out of his mouth, but no stone to be seen.

What should I do?

GhostOfPsychomum5 Thu 25-Jun-09 19:27:15

is he choking??

if not, I would say watch his nappy for a few days, and it will appear

wrinklytum Thu 25-Jun-09 19:27:20

Wait for it to pass out the other end [WINK]

Seriously I am sure he will be fine.:0

CherryChoc Thu 25-Jun-09 19:30:13

Presumably you are past the choking danger - I think the only problem will be it coming out the other end shock - so not an emergency, but potentially damaging/painful there - have you an out of hours GP you can phone for advice? NHS direct are really busy at the moment.

I think if you know it won't be broken down by the digestive process you need to see someone tonight as a child's digestive process is quicker than an adult's.

CherryChoc Thu 25-Jun-09 19:31:07

Oops, I hope I didn't sound too scary! Listen to the other posters, they have more children than me, evidently grin

wrinklytum Thu 25-Jun-09 19:33:28

IIRC Psychomum has 5 kids (Brave lady).I only have 2 but they have swallowed their fair share of small objects and have been OK :0

JackBauer Thu 25-Jun-09 19:41:19

<<considers posting message about watching for plum tree to grow out of his belly button, decides not togrin>>

wastingmyeducation Thu 25-Jun-09 20:52:17

Thank you all, v. reassuring. smile

DH read the messages to me while I was on the phone to NHS Direct.

They said to keep an eye on him, watch for him guarding his tummy and wait for it to come out the other end.

Which is what I thought anyway!

If it had been me I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

I may eat all the plums now so I can't forget to cut the stone out before handing to my precious boy. grin

GhostOfPsychomum5 Thu 25-Jun-09 20:57:19

he will be fine.

if it helps....DS2 ;ast year or so 'ate' a glass pebble (you know, the decorative type..at age 5 or 6hmm).

I took him to A&E as he kept saying he could still feel it in his throat.........but on xray was found in his tummy......throat presumably bruised.

it shot out, 5 days later, like 'a bullet fro a gun'!! we still have the mark where it hit the toilet....

he was fine obviously, and proud of his 'shot'

wastingmyeducation Thu 25-Jun-09 22:45:19

grin

Rolf Thu 25-Jun-09 22:48:53

I've been directed to this thread as exactly the same thing happened to my 12 month old today (the only difference being that I wasn't cooking, I was mnetting, and she swallowed 2 plum stones grin). She did a huge poo about 5 minutes later which I think contained the stones. I couldn't actually see them in the poo (isn't this nice?) but it was about twice as much poo as she's ever managed before.

It's comforting to read all the reassuring comments.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now