Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Older fathers and increased risk of ASD

(5 Posts)
TeaDr1nker Thu 25-Jun-09 12:56:57

Not sure i am writing in the correct place but i have just been really spooked.

I was listening to a programme on the radio and it talked about the link between older fathers producing children who have an increased risk of ASD and/or schizophrenia (excuse spelling). DD is 19 months old, her dad is an older dad - being 48 when she was born (i was 30). She has reached her milestones etc etc but i now can't help wondering if she will develop either of these illness, and i am worried. I realise that there is little i can do about it now but i just had to put something down on 'paper' so to speak.

It has also really got me to question if we should have another. We have both said we would like to try for another baby sometime next year, as i don't feel that i could cope with another pregnancy just yet, also TBH i am enjoying my time with DD.

I just feel upset and worried really. Should i BE as worried as i am also what signs should i look for?

No sure anyone can reasure me or give me words of wisdom but just wanted to let it out.

Elibean Thu 25-Jun-09 18:54:46

As you thought, TD, I can't come up with any real reassurance...but FWIW, I know plenty of children (grown and young) of older fathers who have no problems whatsoever, and, personally, the only friends I had who developed schizophrenia did not have older fathera. So I would think that any link might make a difference of a size enough to be noticed...but that still, the odds of developing either illness are very low overall smile

dh was 45 when dd2 was conceived, and tbh I am not at all worried smile

crokky Thu 25-Jun-09 19:14:53

I would forget about it and have another child. There are so many risks for so many things related to pg/childbirth etc and if we all did everything according to the "rules", we'd never actually do anything at all.

Me and DH were both 27 when DS was born - everything done by the book - pregnancy eating rules etc etc. He's now 3 and being assessed for ASD - lots of autism has genetic roots anyway.

Regarding your DD - you should just enjoy her and carry on - there is no point in worrying and she is probably fine anyway (ASD is much more common in boys anyway). Even if she does have ASD - she's still the same person and still your DD - it won't actually change her.

elvislives Thu 25-Jun-09 20:49:45

DS1 has ASD, DS2 has ADHD and both have dyspraxia. DH was 25 when DS1 was conceived and 27 for DS2.

My friend's husband was 23 when his autistic DS was conceived.

Don't worry about it, and don't let it stop you having a second if you want another one.

(Oh and please don't look out for 'signs' in your DD. It will drive you demented grin )

TeaDr1nker Tue 14-Jul-09 13:22:21

I haven't been able to pick these messages up untill now, but i just wanted to say 'thank you'.

You can worry yourself ragged, and yes i am/will enjoy DD, she is such a joy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now