Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Torn frenulum of upper lip

(12 Posts)
megcleary Wed 24-Jun-09 18:45:26

DD 22 mo has jsut tumbled in the park and I think she's torn the bit that joins the lip and gum

DH thinks it will just heal it beld a little and she is ok in herself A & E won't do anything will they? Any advice?

Have finally stopped shaking..

MrsJamin Wed 24-Jun-09 18:47:54

Mine tore when I was a kid, can't imagine it's set me back at all! Just means you can put your top lip up really high!

Seriously though, I hope your DD feels better soon. I can't imagine A&E would do much but you could always phone NHSdirect to put your mind at ease?

megcleary Wed 24-Jun-09 18:59:49

Hm bled not beld any way thank you for replying she is getting ready for bed and seems ok so we will go with the flow for the moment

megcleary Wed 24-Jun-09 19:18:04

bump

SpawnChorus Wed 24-Jun-09 19:21:35

DD did this at about the same age. I didn't take her to A&E...there's nothing they can actually do! They can't stitch it together again wink. I was reassured at the time when DH said that his was torn, and that he assumed that everyone had a remotely adventurous bone in their body had done the same.

Needless to say, DD is absolutely fine

megcleary Wed 24-Jun-09 19:23:49

Thanks for its reassuring to hear

PinkTulips Wed 24-Jun-09 19:26:16

ds1 has done that 5 times to date... yet it seems to grow back every time... only for him to rip it again hmm

booboobeedoo Wed 24-Jun-09 19:29:20

It has happened to my DD too - lots of blood, but no trip to A&E - nothing to be done there apparently. I also heard that tearing them can even be good as they sometimes need a little operation when they are older to snip them if they are too tight!.

FrannyandZooey Wed 24-Jun-09 19:31:13

nominating you for most wince-worthy title of the week
hope dd is ok!

megcleary Wed 24-Jun-09 19:34:22

Cheers everyone, F & Z it is wince worthy but I thought it would grab attention and we'd get some advice which we have and she seems to be setting to sleep ok.

If its the winciest thing I ever have to write about Dd that would be great but the reality of the whirlwind which is our daughter is beginning to hit!

FrannyandZooey Wed 24-Jun-09 19:35:47

oh yes no complaints here just awe and horror
i keep running my tongue across mine to see if it is still intact

bloss Wed 24-Jun-09 19:36:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now