Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please help. DD (7) has bad tummy ache and won't eat or drink.Really worried and can't seem to get anywhere with doctor.

(12 Posts)
AnyoneForPimms Wed 24-Jun-09 14:47:22

Hi,

Please help as I am at my wits end as to what to do with DD aged 7.

All started on Monday when I was woken by her being really sick. Changed bed and got her a drink of water. 10 mins later sick again and this carried on until late morning.

Everytime she had even the smallest of drinks she was sick. Complained of bad tummyache so in the end I called the doctor as I couldn't get her temp to drop below 38.4.She hadn't weed either in 9 hours.

Could not get her seen so rang the out of hours service which was really helpful and I got to see a doctor 15 miles away at 8pm last night.

Mad her sit in the waiting room for an hour taking sips of water until she had a wee. got the tested but nothing was clear so sent us home with Calpol.

She slept all night and has been on the sofa all day. She won't eat, drink ( she says it hurts) feels dizzy and her tummy hurts.
Again no weeing.

Rang doctor at 12.15pm for more advice and told I would be rung back. Nothing.

Any suggestions before I blow my top.

I just want to help her but cannot get any help.

Sorry for going on.

3littlefrogs Wed 24-Jun-09 14:51:38

Ice lollies or ice cubes made with squash - you put the ice cubes in a plastic bag and hit a couple of times with a rolling pin to break them into bite size chips.

If you can get her to suck these, it will cool her down and get some fluid into her. this can make a big difference quite quickly.

If she doesn't improve withing an hour or two of the ice lolly treatment, you need to be calling the surgery again.

You might be able to get her to take calpol if you follow it up with an ice lolly.

AnyoneForPimms Wed 24-Jun-09 14:52:57

Thanks.

Will get in the freezer now.

AnyoneForPimms Wed 24-Jun-09 15:18:58

Have just heard from the doctor and she has an appointment at 5pm.

He's asked for a urine sample but she won't drink and hasn't weed since this morning

3littlefrogs Wed 24-Jun-09 21:26:44

How did it go? And how is she now?

AnyoneForPimms Thu 25-Jun-09 06:32:16

Sorry never got back on last night.

Well we saw a really nice lady doctor who did a really good MOT on her. She checked her kidneys, liver, tummy, glands, skin, temp, limbs etc and tested her urine ( I managed to get some fluid in her so she'd wee )

No infection. wasn't dehydrated and told me how to check which was useful.

Last thing she looked at was her throat and her tonsils are up as are her glands so that looks like where the infection is showing.

Sent her home and get her to drink.

Well she went straight to bed and slept until 5 this morning.

She is now on the sofa, had calpol and I am trying to get her to drink more. She keeps crying that her tummy hurts so she has a hot water bottle.

What else can I do?

I hope she begins to get better soon. it's so quiet her without her causing trouble and bossing DS1 and DD2 around!!

3littlefrogs Thu 25-Jun-09 17:18:15

I would just keep going with the ice lollies/cubes - that way she will get some fluids and sugar. Ibuprofen might be better than calpol.

If her glands are swollen, the ones in her tummy are swollen too - hence the pain.

Tonsillitis is horrid - dd was off school for a week, with symptoms exactly like these.

3littlefrogs Thu 25-Jun-09 17:19:37

Ice lollies/cubes also reduce the swelling in the throat and relieve the pain.

AnyoneForPimms Thu 25-Jun-09 23:28:29

Have switched to Ibuprofen and that does seem to have more effect.

She was a bit brighter this pm and has been drinking v.cold water and some chocolate milk.

Her dad brought her home a pink doughnut and she did have a few bits so that's something.

She is still v.tired.

Thanks for all the advice. It's nice to have someone to chat to smile

3littlefrogs Thu 25-Jun-09 23:41:51

Jelly and icecream goes down a treat too. Then you can progress to scrambled egg, and other soft things. Old fashioned TLC is the best thing for poorly kids - IMO.

AnyoneForPimms Fri 26-Jun-09 06:25:30

You sound v. experienced smile

Keeping her off school again but she is certainly brighter ( and v.bossy ) grin

3littlefrogs Fri 26-Jun-09 15:59:55

The return of bossiness is a good sign grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now