Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Which would be best, hot or cold?

(18 Posts)
Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 18:28:00

I've got terrible terrible sunburn, on the verge of blistering. It is bright bright red and very very sore.

I've used calamine lotion which didn't work, aftersun which hasnt worked. DH is trying to persuade me to have a hottish bath to take the sting out.

Which do you think that may offer more relief,

A tepid or hot bath?

BedofRosesItAintII Tue 23-Jun-09 18:48:50

Tepid or coldish bath, think of cooling a burn. Hot is not the way to goshock

Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 18:53:46

Ok thank you, i'm going to have to try it.

AnyFucker Tue 23-Jun-09 18:54:36

noooo, not hot

coolish bath, lots of fluids, rest

don't put anything on it

if it blisters badly and/or the area of it is over a joint/joints then you may need to visit A+E

you daft bugger hmm

Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 18:56:53

For some reason dh is adamant it's got to be hot to get rid of the sting.

Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 19:00:37

I don't want to say much, BUT, the burning is not my fault, i've been told by a nurse to ring her immediately if it blisters, it isn't but I KNOW it is on the verge is you know what I mean.

I can't wear tops/bra's anything at the minute

AnyFucker Tue 23-Jun-09 20:13:14

btw, why have you posted this in childrens health ?

and your dh is wrong

Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 20:21:00

AF, I realised that I had posted this under the wrong sub-section.

I do apologise.

I've had a soak in a tepid bath and it hasn't made any difference, but, I'm not going in to work tomorrow either so will do it again 2-3 times during the day.

AnyFucker Tue 23-Jun-09 20:27:46

no need to apologise, I thought at first it was really one of your dc that was burnt

if I am not being too nosey, how did it happen ?

Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 20:30:43

I've been having a light treatment and although it only increased 12 seconds this time I think it was too much, my whole body was on fire last night and I was sat directly in front of air conditioning for hours.

I didn't sleep last night but DH has been fab, got up before me, opened all downstairs windwos,put fans on etc to keep me cool and when I fell asleep earlier on sofa (sat up) he reclined it,covered me up and went upstairs so as not to wake me blush

AnyFucker Tue 23-Jun-09 20:35:35

oh, ok (none the wiser, really)

Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 21:00:08

Basically AF, it's like standing in a very large surround sun bed and I've burnt from that.

It is increased in length time at each appointment.

AnyFucker Tue 23-Jun-09 21:12:20

ah, so your doctor/therapist/nurse has cocked it up ?

Hormonesnomore Tue 23-Jun-09 21:13:55

Is this a medical treatment? If so, I'm shocked that you have been burned by it & should go back to doctor asap. In meantime, tepid baths/showers & cool damp towels over you (if you can bear them touching your skin.

Hope it gets better soon.

Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 21:17:24

Thank you all.

I don't know whether the nurse has cocked up, she was very very helpful on phone this morning and told me to go in anytime if concerned. I'm supposed to be having 4 minutes treatment tomorrow, but, I won't be going as I KNOW it would blister.

I'm going to go in and see consultant on friday.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Tue 23-Jun-09 21:18:21

I have had sunburns so severe that I think if it had happened in the Uk I would have been hospitalised. You have my sympathies.

Have a tepid shower
Drink water
Take some paracetamol
Put lots of aloe vera on your skin - use the whole bottle per application if you need to
Sleep with wet towels/sheets on your back to help with the pain
Be prepared to wear whatever bra you were wearing when it happened every day until it is no longer painful
If it blisters DO NOT POP THEM!

I really hope you feel better soon.

Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 21:33:02

Thanks lou,

I was naked when having the treatment so there are NO line etc

I may try the towel tonight and wouldn't dream of popping the blisters. I am drinking copious amounts of water.

AnyFucker Tue 23-Jun-09 21:47:24

err, i think she did cock it up if you are in so much discomfort

next time you go, ask them to recalculate whatever regime you are on, it is obviously too severe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now