Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Diabetes/Pregnancy/Poorly baby. Asking for a friend.

(4 Posts)
Claire2009 Mon 22-Jun-09 22:06:17

Friend is diabetic, insulin dependant. She's had two difficult pregnancy's but not has a 19mo & 5mo.

Her 5mo had a check today at hospital, he has to have a GA and have an Mri scan at Bristol hospital soon (lives in Plymouth) because they think his bladder and back bone is under developed.

The doctors asked friend if she controlled her blood sugars correctly throughout her pregnancy, she had and said yes, they then said that if there is a problem it has been caused during her pregnancy and due to blood sugars?!

She's very upset & feeling guilty, so I said I'd ask here for any advice...

He doesn't pee properly, it's a trickle throughout the day more or less, rather than one pee etc.

He apparently has no fat on his bum, just bone and skin, and he has a lump at the bottom of his spine/back bone area.

What do you think? Anyone any advice?

Tia.

forkhandles Mon 22-Jun-09 22:15:48

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 22-Jun-09 22:24:58

From CG063Guidance (NICE guidance on diabetes in pregnancy), 'congenital malformations are more common in babies born to women with pre-existing diabetes'.

There's every chance that it could be related, but if your friend did all that she possibly could to control her sugars before and during the pregnancy, then she has nothing to beat herself up about.
Has she said what her hba1c results were like before and during the pregnancy?

paddyclamp Sat 27-Jun-09 18:15:35

i have IDD and had some episodes of dodgy control during preg...but both of mine are fine! Tbh it's not easy managing pregnancy and diabetes. I think they'd have had to have been really bad to cause a problem like that ....so it's prob not related

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now